Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Media Folder Not Adding New Songs

Hi, hope you can help.

I'm running Windows Vista and a relatively old version of iTunes [because I simply hate all the hassles that come with updates...]. I went to backup my iTunes folder to an external drive, using SyncToy, and I took a look at the iTunes media folder just to make sure it was OK. It wasn't. The files in the resulting folder did not include any music I had added for nearly two years!

I then tried a simple copy/paste onto the external drive, with the same result.

I then looked at the actual iTunes media folder on my PC, just for the **** of it, and saw the same problem - The files don't seem to have any of my new music at all. Even stranger, when I drill down into the individual folders/files I get the message "this folder is empty" in all cases.

I have the box ticked "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library."

HELP... Does this make any sense to anyone?

I'm planning to update iTunes, but I want a rock-solid backup on an external drive before I risk my music library [of 12 years making] to that inevitable trauma.

Thank you, Geof

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 3:13 AM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2015 1:03 PM in response to geof from burley woodhead

Does the music play in iTunes?

If it won't play in iTunes where else could it be stored?

Have you looked within the main music folder?

What is the path to your media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced?

Perhaps you chose a new location at some point, but didn't consolidate the existing media to it.

Have any drive letters changed?

Is this media on any devices it could be recovered from? (Don't try just yet as that could make matters worse).

Don't update iTunes either, it won't repair anything.

tt2

Mar 26, 2015 6:54 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2, and thanks for your help.

The music is playing perfectly well in iTunes. It is all there, visible and playing fine. My many playlists are also functioning fine. I have also just refreshed my Sonos system, which shares my iTunes library - It updated perfectly and the Sonos controller shows/plays my entire up-to-date library.

The issue I have is with backing up the library. With both SyncToy and straightforward copy/paste, the resulting backed-up library is incomplete. And, when I look, the base library is also out of date or at least it seems to be [as per my original question] - The folder I am backing up is C:\Users\admin\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music. The listed artist folders are way out of date and say "empty" when you drill down into them.

The path to iTunes Media under edit>preferences>advanced is C:\Users\admin\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

The path on the Sonos system to its shared library is C:\Users\admin\Music

I haven't intentionally changed any file/folder/library locations at any point. And no drive letters have changed. But the PC has not been without problems - Who knows what re-setting or re-configuration it may have taken upon itself?

I have both boxes ticked: "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" and "keep iTunes media folder organized."

It seems to me that all my music and playlists are intact and stored somewhere, but it is stored somewhere it shouldn't be, and all new additions to my library are being filed somewhere wrong... Is there some sort of change I can make to move it all to the right place, without losing any music or playlists?

Thanks again for your help,

Geof Ashton

Mar 26, 2015 4:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

Here is the location of a track called Underpuppy on an album called The Life and Times of Phoebus Brumal by an artist called Fila Brazillia: C:\Users\admin\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Fila Brazillia\The Life and Times of Phoebus Brumal\02 Underpuppy.m4a

Do you know what? I think you may have just helped me understand the problem. I looked in My Computer for this location [above] and found, among all the [old] folders of artist names, there is a folder called "music" and, in that folder, are all the missing artists that I have added in the last two years... So there are lots and lots of old files by artist name, plus a single folder, hidden at the same level, containing hundreds of new folders of new artists' names added in the last two years. So I guess the base folder really does contain the whole up-to-date library after all?

Do you still think I should reorganise this?

Cheers, Geof Ashton

Mar 26, 2015 4:29 PM in response to geof from burley woodhead

I would. If your library has a mixed structure with some artist folders inside iTunes Music and others in iTunes Music\Music then your library has been accidentally switched into to the newer layout, without the accompanying restructure of the media folder that would normally happen at the same time. This has happened occasionally during iTunes upgrades. You can trigger this now by turning Keep Organized off, then turning it back on again. Once that is done you can close iTunes, change the name of the media folder from iTunes Music to iTunes Media and restart iTunes. It should detect the change of name and adjust the setting under Edit > Preferences > Advanced automatically.

tt2

Mar 31, 2015 1:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi again, turingtest2.

Thank you very much. That has worked and, I assume, fixed my problem. Thanks for your help.

Last question: The [newly renamed] iTunes Media folder still has a folder called Music in it plus hundreds of folders named by artist that say "folder empty" when you drill into them. Should I just leave all this alone or tidy it up in some way?

Cheers, and thanks again, Geof

Mar 31, 2015 1:23 AM in response to geof from burley woodhead

Hmm, the "correct" location for music files in a modern iTunes library is ..\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## <Name>.<Ext>. If your artist folders are currently one level higher then try File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files.

Should you still need to clean up empty folders within the iTunes Media folder see http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/CleanDeadArt.asp

tt2

iTunes Media Folder Not Adding New Songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.