Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should i get the new macbook for university?

Hello,

i am looking for a suitable laptop for assignments and Uni workload.

is the new MacBook suitable for university life and worth it? I find it really easy to bring anywhere since it weights only 0.92 kg (2.03 pounds). Yet, I also find that the new MacBook is more to people who want their laptop to look as stylish as they can and not really suitable for students since the storage is inadequate and we have loads of assignments. I don't really know about gadgets, all I know is that I want a laptop that is easy to carry everywhere and has enough storage.

So, between the new MacBook and 13-inch macbook pro with retina display, which one is more suitable, and most importantly, worth for uni student?

Thank you!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 1:00 AM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2015 1:35 AM in response to SarahGome

512Gb of storage should be adequate. The issues with the Macbook vs the Retina Macbook Pro (aside from excessive cost) seem to be

1. Slower processor so cannot handle video editing and the like as well

2. Single USB-C port so you will need adapters for all types of output (VGA, HDMI, USB...)

3. Slightly smaller screen size

I am seriously considering it for travel due to the minimal size and weight. As for students ...

Jun 3, 2015 12:30 AM in response to Michael Paine

Got my Retina Macbook. I meets all of my needs and is great for travel - it is so compact and light. Although smaller, the screen is easier to read than my old MBPro. All my software including some legacy Windows XP (under Parallels) and DOS (under DOSBOX) are working well. The only noticeable slowing is a file synchronisation app. It runs much faster on an iMac than the rMB. However I don't do intensive video editing.

Should i get the new macbook for university?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.