Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24" 2008 iMac with busted video card, advice needed.

I have a 2008 24" iMac in which the video card is busted. The machine will turn on, get to the log in screen with no issues, however there is absolutely no video output to the screen.

I have attempted connecting it to an external monitor using mini DVI to VGA and a VGA cable, but the machine is not set to display to an external monitor.

Having the video card replaced will cost in the region of €300, an amount I'm reluctant to spend on a machine which is seven years old.

I have it backed up, so I'm really looking for advice to to how to wipe it so I can sell it on for parts, or other suggestions...

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 5:58 AM

Sounds like it is time to consider a new machine. If you want to wipe it, then connect it via Firewire Target Disk Mode with another Mac and then wipe the HD that way. Another method is removing the HD altogether and either destroying it or even better putting it in an enclosure and wiping it using Disk Utility (from another Mac) and then using it for as long as it lives as a EHD.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 5:58 AM in response to JonThom

Sounds like it is time to consider a new machine. If you want to wipe it, then connect it via Firewire Target Disk Mode with another Mac and then wipe the HD that way. Another method is removing the HD altogether and either destroying it or even better putting it in an enclosure and wiping it using Disk Utility (from another Mac) and then using it for as long as it lives as a EHD.

24" 2008 iMac with busted video card, advice needed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.