Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browser Hacked?

I am using a MacBook running system 10.6.8

The computer has been behaving strangely for some 2 months, the following is an outline

a) A Friend said he received an e-mail from my website e-mail with the title: 'You have been Hacked'.

b) Some emails sent from one registered address in Mail arrived at the destination with a different e-mail address (but one that is registered in mail)

c) A drop down in Safari from api.mywot.com/requested a user name and password, the browser wouldn't work and a reboot eliminated the problem.

d) Switched to Google Chrome.

- ISP checked modem and found no issues

e) When clicking to change the page in my Youtube channel it redirected to the browser page that accesses the router/modem.

f) While watching a program of Filmon.com, a chat session started within the video screen; I found chat-services.filmon.com may have caused that - this connection is now denied in Littlesnitch.

g) Also in Youtube the top part of the browser screen changed colour with a cartoon of a sleuth character in the top right. When I reloaded the screen the browser window returned to normal.

User uploaded file

- Recently the ISP changed to new router/modem

h) Again in Youtube the top part of the browser screen changed colour with a cartoon of a sleuth character in the top right; as before.

i) No other issues have happened.

Numerous Scans with Sophos, ClamXav and MacScan all din't find any issues.

I realise these issues could be a browser hack to access the network - any ideas on how to resolve the issues, or how to ensure the computer is now issue free would be most welcome. Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPad & iBook OS 10.6.8

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 5:45 AM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I appreciate your reply Ralph, thank you. I had a direct e-mail exchange with Thomas about this issue, he was kind enough to discuss this. However I am still trying to find out if the issue was caused by a browser hack, or other issue, and if so how to check for remaining elements. I followed your advice about Adwaremedic, but it is for OS 10.7 and I have 10.6.8.

Browser Hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.