Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If iMac (10.6.8 or 10.10.2) are asleep, can they be hacked over my network?

My bank acct. is being 'messed' with. I've lost access to one of my accts because of him/her. I've read all these horror stories and I'm wondering if this person can get into my personal net while my iMacs are asleep? I only have "Print Sharing" checked so my wife can access our printers. Is this good enough security (units being asleep) or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help. Banks are dumber then stumps on this. Their reply? Ignore the problem but that doesn't help. This clown keeps blocking my access by constantly trying different passwords.

TIA, Jack

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:41 AM

Do you think they are directly accessing your computer? If so, why?

If you do, when you put the computer to sleep, disconnecting from the Internet will add some margin of safety.

If you think they have access to you computer, some software must have been installed, so you might consider erasing the hard drive and restoring your data from before this happened.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Jack E. Tilley

Do you think they are directly accessing your computer? If so, why?

If you do, when you put the computer to sleep, disconnecting from the Internet will add some margin of safety.

If you think they have access to you computer, some software must have been installed, so you might consider erasing the hard drive and restoring your data from before this happened.

If iMac (10.6.8 or 10.10.2) are asleep, can they be hacked over my network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.