Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 MBP stuck on gray screen, verbose mode shows SMC error too

Hi!

I have and early 2011 MBP, running on OS 10.7.5 is continuously stuck at grey screen upon start-up.

I tried the steps as mentioned in Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support article apart from reinstalling OS X. The laptop started after every step, but then stopped again. I tried SMC update, that also worked for once, and on the second start up I ended up with a blue screen. During a later attempt, it worked again for a while, but ended with a distorted graphics after 15 mins. AHT (short version) doesn't show any hardware errors. Now the laptop doesn't go further than grey screen at all, and after a minute or so there's a heavy fan activity. The verbose mode also shows and SMC error, smc: : smcinithelper error: mmio regmap ==null - fall back to old smc mode (AHT Shows SMC version as 1.69f4)

What do you advise?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:27 AM

5 replies

Dec 4, 2017 4:39 PM in response to io78452

turn off laptop

press shift key and leave it press

turn on laptop

will boot to safe mode when you see the apple logo

keep pressing the spacebar and enter key like when you keep typing and pressing like the f8 on windows

keep pressing

you will see the login option

first login to guest since all drivers will be limited, then logoff

then login to your account

perform a efi update

or upgrade your OS

Early 2011 MBP stuck on gray screen, verbose mode shows SMC error too

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.