Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups.

Im planning on reformatting my windows laptop because of lack in memory and its already laggy. Before hand, i want to transfer everything first to my external hard drive including my itunes. How would i know if all the back ups coming from my iOS Devices are also transferred to my external hard drive so that when i re install it in my newly reformatted pc everythings back to normal when i sync my iOS to my PC?

Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 4:20 AM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Joe Hannes

1. Backup the library with this User Tip.
  2. Deauthorize the computer before reformatting.
  3. Restore the backup to your new computer using the same tool used to back it up.
  4. Keep your backup up-to-date in future.

The same tool can be used to backup other areas of your user profile that you will want to be able to restore.

If your media folder has been split out from the main iTunes folder you may need to do some preparatory work to make sure it works properly regardless of where it is restored to. See Make a split library portable.

Migrating iOS backups isn't so easy. You may be able to capture all of the %AppData%\Apple Computer folder, and it might work, but in general don't rebuild you computer if you have unresolved issues with your devices, and backup them up as soon as possible after setting up your library.

tt2

Mar 29, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Joe Hannes

As long as your iTunes library and other personal data is all backed up you are good to go. Reformat your PC, reinstall Windows, restore your data, install iTunes, connect it to your library by shift-starting iTunes if you have the library stored other than in the User's Music folder, then connect your devices and back them up.

Personally I recommend going into Edit > Preferences > Devices and ticking the option Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically just to keep you in control. It is not unheard of for people to connect to iTunes meaning to restore their iOS backup, only to have the backup automatically update and discard the data they meant to recover.

tt2

Backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.