Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac is shutting down when it attempts to sleep with 'hibernate image' error

Our iMac is shutting down when it attempts to sleep. This started following a Yosemite security update, though of course it is difficult to determine for sure that that was the cause.

In the console, the following message occurs before every shut down:

kernel[0]: Failed to get hibernate image filename

Suggestions? Does someone perhaps know what exactly the hibernate image is (we have a tiled screensaver that shows an iPhoto album -- could it be that one of those files is corrupt?) so that I can attempt to change it to see if that fixes the problem?

Thanks!

System: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), OS X 10.10.2

Already tried:

I reset the SMC by following Apple's instructions for this computer (turn off, unplug, wait, replug, wait, turn on)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 7:40 AM

4 replies

Mar 25, 2015 7:57 AM in response to MstrE

More information:

1. It looks like the crash/shut down is happening when the display tries to sleep (timing is 15 min after the beginning of automatic sleep).

2. When sleep is first initiated, I am seeing this in the console (not normal?):

2015-03-25 9:22:05.987 AM ScreenSaverEngine[485]: Preflight for plugin com.apple.ILPhotosPlugin failed, so it will not load. Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3587 "The bundle “iLMBPhotosPlugin” couldn’t be loaded because it is damaged or missing necessary resources." (dlopen_preflight(/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin): Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoLibraryPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Phot oLibraryPrivate

Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin

Reason: image not found) UserInfo=0x7fed83841320 {NSLocalizedFailureReason=The bundle is damaged or missing necessary resources., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Try reinstalling the bundle., NSFilePath=/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin, NSDebugDescription=dlopen_preflight(/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin): Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoLibraryPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Phot oLibraryPrivate

Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin

Reason: image not found, NSBundlePath=/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin, NSLocalizedDescription=The bundle “iLMBPhotosPlugin” couldn’t be loaded because it is damaged or missing necessary resources.}

The iLMBPhotosPlugin file does exist:

ls -al "/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/"

total 80

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 30 Jan 07:46 .

drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 30 Jan 07:46 ..

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 99840 29 Sep 01:41 iLMBPhotosPlugin

The Library PhotoLibraryPrivate.framework/Versions/A/PhotoLibraryPrivate does not (there is no directory called /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoLibraryPrivate.framework)

sudo ls -ald "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Photo"*

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 11 Sep 2014 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoLibrary.framework

Mar 25, 2015 6:05 PM in response to MstrE

At this point, I have tried:

- resetting the SMC twice

- reinstalling the OS from scratch

- verified the HD (no issues)

- repaired permissions

The issue continues.

More information:

Found the following command, which reveals the name of the hibernate file (this file does not exist currently, though /var/vm does; it is likely created on sleep):

> pmset -g

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

hibernatemode 0

halfdim 1

womp 1

networkoversleep 0

sleep 60 (sleep prevented by UserEventAgent, UserEventAgent, Disk Utility)

Sleep On Power Button 1

ttyskeepawake 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

autorestart 0

disksleep 10

displaysleep 15

iMac is shutting down when it attempts to sleep with 'hibernate image' error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.