Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 won't connect to iTunes on Windows 8.1 pc

Bought my phone from Apple store in UK.

Messages I get are:

1. iTunes couldn't connect to this iPhone. Unknown error occurred (0xE8000065)

2. MTP USB Device has a driver problem. Driver 21/06/2006 ver. 6.3.9600. 17415 MS Windows

So far I have followed all the procedures I've found in the following article on this Support Forum

"iOS: Unknown error containing '0xE' when connecting to a Windows PC"

Last Modified: Mar 20, 2015

In addition I have stopped Norton 360 in case that was causing problems.

I've only got genuine Apple USB/Thunderbolt connectors.

I've tried them in all the USB ports, front and rear.

Removed and reinstalled all Apple products.

My iPad Mini gives the same errors.

The PC was last updated 25/3/15

iPhone and iPad is running Version 8.2(12D508)

Both devices work on my old Sony laptop running Windows 7.

The only thing I haven't tried is reloading Window 8. It's a major pain as there are so many updates which the last time I tried took what seemed forever!

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:09 AM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2015 10:26 AM in response to First JR

Further to my initial post.

My iPad does work correctly except that it shows "Not Charging".

The only difference I can see is in Windows Device Manager - Portable Devices is that MTP USB Device doesn't show.

Both devices start iTunes on the pc. The iPad shows everything I would expect whilst the the phone doesn't doesn't appear at all.

Mar 25, 2015 11:21 AM in response to First JR

first make sure that you have latests itunes install if not install it

then try to reinstall it

then

uninstall itunes, quicktime and bonjour

reboot

use regedit (you type regedit in run in the context menu you get if you right click the windows button) and search and delete everything related to itunes, quicktime and bonjour

reboot

reinstall itunes, quicktime and bonjour

Mar 25, 2015 11:58 AM in response to First JR

The 0xE is a driver issue for the windows

Rudegar is correct, here are a couple links you might find helpful

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

If iTunes from iTunes.com doesn't work try

iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1784?locale=en_US

Mar 27, 2015 6:04 AM in response to damaag

Jim, Thanks for iPad/USB power info. One less worry.

Rudegar and damaag: I've followed all your suggestions regarding removing and reinstalling iTunes, Quicktime and Bonjour to no avail. Once I'd removed them using Control Panel, rebooted and then used regedit to remove all traces of iTunes, Quicktime and Bonjour.

I found that Quicktime is spread throughout the registry. I reckon I had to delete over 100 instances, however, there were 4x entries I could not remove. "ab (Default) REG SZ VIDEO_QUICKTIME MONIKER CLASS"

I rebooted after these deletes and the pc loaded without any problems despite the dire warnings about deletions in regedit.

Reloaded iTunes, Quicktime and Bonjour and stil the iPhone refused to connect to iTunes.

I repeated the whole exercise making doubly sure I followed the procedure listed in HT204275. Once again rebooted (cleanly) then used regedit to remove all traces and again there were 4x instances as listed above which I couldn't remove.

This time I only installed iTunes (Bonjour is automatically loaded) and tried to connect.

Failed as previously:

MTP USB Device has a driver problem

Device cannot start (Code 10)

(Device Timeout)

The specified i/o operation on %hs was not completed before the timeout period expired.

This was followed by - iTunes couldn't connect 0eX00002D

Then - Unknown error occurred 0xE8000065

Where do I go from here?

My pc is self build which has not given any problems since I built it in January 2010.

ASUS P7P55D PRO m/board

Intel Core i5-750 CPU

C: Drive is Crucial M4 SSD

D: Drive is Samsung 500GB

OS Windows 8.1

iPhone 6 won't connect to iTunes on Windows 8.1 pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.