Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sophos detected 3 threats on my iMac but clean up failed. Any idea how i get rid of them please? 1 is Malware the other 2 Trojans. Thanks

Sophos detected 3 threats on my iMac (Maverick OSX 10.9.5) but clean up failed. Any idea how i get rid of them please? 1 is Malware the other 2 Trojans. Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:43 AM

15 replies

Mar 29, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for your interest CSound & sorry I couldn't get back sooner. These are the full details from Quarantine Manager:

Date Threat Filename Action Available

2 Feb 2015 Troj/Zbot-Goy notification - the_royal_ban Clean up failed

2 Feb 2015 Troj/Agent -AIRO sale 2014-12-08_8704... Clean up failed

2 Feb 2015 Mal/Phish-A e document..html Clean up failed

I did have a look at a 'manual' for sophos but couldn't make sense of how to go about trying to rid something if the automatic detection / clean up process didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2015 11:26 AM in response to RMH1405

The first two are (surprise, surprise!) Windows only malware. Most likely email attachments. The last is also in an email, which it tells you, and isn't any kind of threat at all unless you make the mistake of responding. It's a phishing attempt. On their own, they can do absolutely nothing. Phishing emails require that the user fall for whatever they're trying to get you to respond to and do it.

Mar 29, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Csound1

Paranoia probably. I had a PC before the Mac & my whole system was hacked. The hackers mimicked my main bank log on page & I was within a whisker of falling into the trap. It took days of password changes, resets, change of bank & investment details & I'm scared to death of it happening again. Apple themselves now say their systems aren't 100% virus proof, hence my concern. Your comments are reassuring however. Thanks again.

Mar 29, 2015 12:27 PM in response to RMH1405

It would actually be prudent of Apple to say that OS X is not 100% virus proof because there's no way to predict the future with any kind of certainty. To date, there has not been, and still isn't an actual virus for OS X. Were Apple to make a statement that OS X was 100% virus proof, and the day comes someone actually manages to create a virus that works, they could then be open to lawsuits from all sorts looking to make a quick buck by using the statement against them. "See!!! They said 100%. They lied!"

There are plenty of Trojans, but as that type of malware requires, you must install it somehow yourself. Unlike a virus, which spreads without user interaction.

Mar 29, 2015 2:07 PM in response to RMH1405

What type of Trojan you may encounter depends on what "activates" it. If you go back far enough (think MS-DOS on old PCs), not only did you have to download the Trojan, you had to choose to run it. At one time, someone had released a Trojan of the very popular PKZIP app. It didn't zip or unzip anything. The person who released it to bulletin boards, did so as a version number that hadn't been released as a real version yet, so everyone thought it was a new, legitimate version. I can't remember what it did when you ran the app.

Currently, most known Trojans are obtained in these two most common manners:

1) Illegal software downloads. These contain the nasty ones like keyloggers, back doors, etc.

2) Legal software from sites like Softonic, C|Net's download.com and others. These aggregate sites where you can pick up all kinds of software to try have been adding extra installers to just about everything you download from them. Essentially, almost 100% of these unwanted additions are adware. Harmless, but greatly annoying. Especially the more aggressive ones that put so many adds on the screen, and so heavily tie up your Internet connection retrieving ads that your entire system slows down.

Either of these when installed are immediately active.

Sophos detected 3 threats on my iMac but clean up failed. Any idea how i get rid of them please? 1 is Malware the other 2 Trojans. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.