Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro - Which Hybrid Drive?

I've always run WD Velociraptor's in my Mac Pro's. Running a 600gb on my current machine. Now that prices are within reason for a hybrid drive and I'm about to rebuild my system, it's a great time to make the move. For the most part I don't store on my boot drive, yet 600gb is a bit tight at times, so 1TB would be sufficient.

What drives would be great candidates from the leading manufacturers? I'd like to stay under $150.

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2010 12-Core 24GB 5870 600GB Raptor

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 7:21 AM

10 replies

Mar 25, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Tony Giordano

As a (former) VelociRaptor (and Raptor 2003 when the 36 and 73GB came out) I am all about SSD now. I still use those VR drives but just to clone the system is all.

600GB is tight? What does Omni DiskSweeper or WhatSize show is taking up space? X-Plane? all the video and graphic suites? 300-400GB is a lot. The boot drive can and will be used for cache by some suites too.

1TB SSD is now only $369, about what I paid for some 10K drives in the past. Generally a 500GB $209 is more than enough and most opt for 250GB / $115.

If you have a lot of audio libraries, plug-ins and such or other gaphic libraries for Lightroom, they also benefit from SSD but I would use a separate drive..

A good 7.2k platter today is fast and quieter than 600GB unit you have and capable of 180MB/sec.

You can use an SATA III PCIe controller with two 500GB SSDs for $500 or you could get 1TB, and there are those blade drives that are to me ~1300MB/sec.

I love the XP941 and wish I had the money for the 256GB now that I have used it ($269) as it is 3-4x faster than an SSD on the native drive bays where it tops out at 250MB/sec for standard SSDs. An SATA III PCIe offers ~500MB/sec out of an SSD. So an Apple/Samsung blade is ~2x faster than even that.

Mar 25, 2015 2:26 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, so much. I like where this is going. Hopefully next month it'll be released and I'll do it. A bit more than I had planned on spending, but can see huge benefits in what I've read so far. In the mean time I'll clean up, research and be ready. Hopefully my machine will be included in the next iteration of OS X and make this upgrade more than worth it.

Mar 25, 2015 5:58 PM in response to The hatter

I read about the units on Ebay, not that desperate. I like my money. They were being pulled from Lenovo's and had no warranty. I'd rather have peace of mind, wait and buy from someone legit.

Thanks for the two site recommendations. A lot of this is way over my head, so I'm trying to decipher as much as I can.

I know this may sound green, but after this upgrade, based on the 941, are there any incompatibility issues that I should be aware of between the blade and any other components (additional HDD's, memory, etc.) or even the OS? Or is it just like running any other drive?

2010 Mac Pro - Which Hybrid Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.