Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore an iPhoto library from Time Capsule

My iMac was stolen. I have a MacBook Air running Yosemite version 10.10.2. The iPhoto Library was not on the MacBook. How do I restore my iPhoto Library from a Time Machine backup on my Time Capsule onto my MacBook? I am using iPhoto version 9.6.1.

Two complications:

1. I have several hundred photos from a different iPhoto library on my MacBook.

2. I think the iPhoto library that is hopefully on my Time Capsule is too big to fit on my MacBook. I have 50 GB free space remaining on a 256 GB SSD.

Thank you.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:10 AM

If the library to be restored is too big for your boot drive you'll need to get an external HD, formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored, and restore the iPhoto Library to it according to the instructions in the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

With the restored library up and running you can use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge the Macbook library into the restored library on the EHD. A possible candidate for the EHD is the OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro USB 3.0 / FireWire 800. It lends itself nicely for portable use.

Once you are satisfied that the merge was successful you can delete the Macbook library from the Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 9:10 AM in response to wai flow

If the library to be restored is too big for your boot drive you'll need to get an external HD, formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored, and restore the iPhoto Library to it according to the instructions in the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

With the restored library up and running you can use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge the Macbook library into the restored library on the EHD. A possible candidate for the EHD is the OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro USB 3.0 / FireWire 800. It lends itself nicely for portable use.

Once you are satisfied that the merge was successful you can delete the Macbook library from the Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

Mar 25, 2015 9:11 AM in response to wai flow

. I think the iPhoto library that is hopefully on my Time Capsule is too big to fit on my MacBook.

Try to restore the iPhoto Library first to an external drive. Then you can see, if it can safely be moved to the internal drive.

To restore from Time Machine see this help document:

iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

and perhaps: Mac Basics: Time Machine

If you are using an external drive to restore your library to, make sure it has the correct file system - MacOS Extended (Journaled), as described here for Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

How do I restore an iPhoto library from Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.