Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nstall it without worrying about eltrostatic discahrge

I have an "early 2008" iMac 8.1 with 2 GB memory and want to install 4 GB kit (2GBX2) (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-Pin Notebook Memory modules. Is this correct one and I install it without worrying about electrostatic discharge?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:00 AM

11 replies

Mar 25, 2015 9:31 AM in response to RASMHS

Please ONLY use Crucial or OWC (www.macsales.com) ram. I would upgrade to 6GB (the maximum a 2008 iMac can accommodate). Purchase the RAM directly from either Crucialor OWC.

However, to answer your question the RAM should be just fine assuming the specifications are identical to what Apple suggests. iMacs are very fussy with RAM and it's critical the specifications are 100% correct.

Mar 25, 2015 10:12 AM in response to rkaufmann87

As to static, at the least be careful not to scuff about on carpets (builds up a charge) and to touch something earthed before you handle the RAM. To be really sure you should get an earthing wrist strap from an electronics store - you connect the wire from it to something earthed and strap it onto your wrist so that it leaks any static away. (Very possibly not necessary, but costs only a small amount and RAM costs...) In either event, be careful not to touch the pins.

Mar 25, 2015 11:28 AM in response to RASMHS

I have appreciated the input of those who responded. I have never opened my computer so I lack self-confidence. Therefore, I have another question. I have 1 GB in each slot for 2GB. I have Crucial 4 GB kit (2 GBX2) DDR2 800 MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT25664AC800. Should I remove both of the 1GB and place the 4 GB kit (2GBX2) in one slot, leaving the other slot empty. Or, can I replace one of the originals (1 GB) with the 4GB kit (2GBX2) and leave the other (1GB) as is? I have the installation procedure but it doesn't address this.

Thanks again.

Mar 25, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I have appreciated the input of those who responded. I have never opened my computer so I lack self-confidence. Therefore, I have another question. I have 1 GB in each slot for 2GB. I have Crucial 4 GB kit (2 GBX2) DDR2 800 MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT25664AC800. Should I remove both of the 1GB and place the 4 GB kit (2GBX2) in one slot, leaving the other slot empty. Or, can I replace one of the originals (1 GB) with the 4GB kit (2GBX2) and leave the other (1GB) as is? I have the installation procedure but it doesn't address this.

Thanks again.

R

Mar 25, 2015 11:29 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again.

R

Mar 25, 2015 11:54 AM in response to RASMHS

RASMHS wrote:

Thanks again.

R

Your post is a little confusing, you indicate you have a Crucial 4 GB kit (2 GBX2) DDR2 800 MHz (PC2-6400) CL6 SODIMM 200-Pin. This should be 2 ea. DIMMS each with 2GB of RAM on them. If this is correct simply remove the existing RAM and replace it with the Crucial RAM.

nstall it without worrying about eltrostatic discahrge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.