Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how are facebook contacts getting to my imac address book?

i have just discovered weird data on my imac's (os x 10.7.5) address book.

they seem to be coming from facebook. how is this happening and how can i stop it?

thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 8:45 AM

Check your iCloud and Facebook settings.

6 replies

Mar 29, 2015 5:23 AM in response to Csound1

thanks for the hints, csound1. i have looked and not found anything. but, looking has gotten me thinking. i bought a new iphone in 02/15. i'm guessing that something the carrier or i did to get my data to my iphone caused the additions to my contacts.

rkaufmann87's mention of facebook settings made me go through all of my fb settings--some that i had never looked at before. i looked at apps and ads and found some of the companies listed whose info wound up on my address book. i have removed everything i can from fb. i'll see if that takes care of things. i still don't completely understand. i do understand that facebook is doing things in the background that i have not paid attention to. they are trying to make money, after all.

thanks to both of you.

ah, gee. i think i have made a mistake. i think by clicking "this helped me" to your answers will prevent me from clicking "this solved my problem" later. i'm sorry.

Mar 29, 2015 8:01 AM in response to green jean

You may have done this already but just in case.

On your iPhone in the Settings app check to see if Facebook has permission to use your Contacts app. This is usually where your problem comes from.

Settings > Facebook > Allow these Apps to Use Your Account > Make sure Contacts is OFF.

Also check the other apps to make sure they all are set to what you want.

Mar 29, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Ralph9430

ok, ralph9430, on my iphone 6 (i os 8.2), i have gone to the facebook option.

basically, i'm not letting fb do anything. none of the apps listed under "allow these apps to use your account" have been turned on. i don't believe that i have ever used "update all contacts," but maybe my carrier did something when i got my new phone. i don't think so, though.

i'll look at all the other apps and post anything interesting.

thanks.

how are facebook contacts getting to my imac address book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.