Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wanting to Up Grade My Mac Pro mid 2010

Hi everyone,

I do graphic design and I want to upgrade my Mac Pro Mid 2010 as much as possible, here are the specs on my machine:

Processor: 2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 3 of 4 slots being used with 1GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB

Im looking to upgrade as much as possible, including the wireless card and don't know where to start. I am having problems with files saving and running multiple adobe programs at the same time.

Any suggestions

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:30 AM

4 replies

Mar 25, 2015 9:39 AM in response to b.kelley

I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro and it came with builtin wireless. I would check to be sure that your Mac Pro doesn't have it before you add anything for wireless.

If you are having troubles running multiple Adobe programs, the amount of RAM you have sound too little if I read what you have correctly. I take you have 3 GB of RAM since you have 3 GB cards which is not enough for multiple Adobe programs.

To help us better understand your situation, please download and install EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Run it and post the report here

Mar 26, 2015 5:28 AM in response to b.kelley

3GB of RAM is far, far too little for what you are doing. As The hatter said, 24GB is a good amount of RAM for your needs. You don't mention how much hard drive space you have, but that should be considered. Adobe apps need lots of scratch-disk space. These two things are relatively inexpensive to fix. You may find that you don't need to mess with upgrading the graphics card if you take care of RAM and HD space.

Mar 26, 2015 10:49 PM in response to b.kelley

I might recommend macrumors.com, where you will find plenty of upgrade enthusiasts. Be careful though, it can get addicting. I don't know if you realize just how much your machine can be upgraded, but let me recommend a decent setup for graphic design.

1) upgrade the processor to an Xeon X5690. This will increase your cores from 4 to 6, and will increase the GHz to 3.46 from 2.8

2) upgrade your hard drive. Lots of options are out there, but I installed an XP941 Samsung drive on a Lycom M.2 (NGFF) SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 PCIe adapter, which has worked very nicely. A bit more expensive than a standard SSD, but makes the machine FLY

3) upgrade your RAM. I agree that 24 GB is a minimum for graphic design. More is basically better. Get 48 GB if you can (3*16 GB is a sweet spot for price/performance)

4) upgrade your graphics card. You didn't mention which programs you run. I agree with the hatter above that the GTX 680, AMD 7950, or the AMD 7970 (would need to get a modified card from MacVidCards for this) all provide excellent performance, and a significant step up from the 5770. You can get significantly faster cards than those mentioned, (GTX 980, Titan, etc) but whether the price is worth it really depends on what programs you use.

5) get a few big 3.5" spinning drives for internal data storage

Let me know if you have any questions.

Wanting to Up Grade My Mac Pro mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.