Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Time Machine Volumes

We are managing our MacBooks, iMacs and MacMinis with OS X Server, version 4.0.3

I added a centralized Time Machine backup space managed by the profile manager. But now I have the problem, that the user can not manage additional time machine backups on his own... Also it is not possible to add a second time machine backup volume with the profile manager.

Is it only possible to have one time machine volume, if a client is connected and managed with the OS X Server? Or is there any way to have a second time machine volume? Can I possibly add this volume via the configuration part "own configurations" with "Configuration-Domains"?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 9:45 AM

9 replies

Mar 25, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Lexiepex

The TM backups are stored on a AFP share and they are crypted. So I think they are protected. But if they are at one disk, this would not the solution of my problem which I asked. What I want to have is:

1.) Having backups of the client in the office

2.) Having backups of the client at home (or somewhere else where the user normally is too)

But managed with the profile manager I can only have one backup destination. But I require two...

Mar 25, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Lexiepex

Yes, sure... But it is not workable to have an own USB disk for every user. And it is not user-friendly that the user has to connect a USB device every time...

The storage is a machine with 6 disks in a RAID6. So I think it is probably safe enough in case of broken disks.

But do you have any idea how I can add a second TM volume for an client, which is managed by the profile manager?

Mar 25, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Lexiepex

But a USB disk can easier be stolen as a server which is a located in a access controlled server room. Also I think most of the users will not connect the USB disk always, so the Backup is not active the whole time during they are in the office...

And USB disks are making some noise on the desks which are uncool too...

Sure, possibly it will be a little bit better for TM. But I think the centralized storage, which are usable from OS X Server from default, is a good solution. But I still need a second TM Volume... Possibly I can add them via CLI. I will try that tomorrow.

Apr 1, 2015 7:05 PM in response to tmatthaeus

I have a setup where my clients have a disk attached to their machines and are also using the Server Time Machine storage disk to alternate their backups.

I do not use Profile Manager to set that up. Only the Time Machine Preference Pane on the client machine.

Time Machine - Select disk... -

The server Time Machine backup space is shown as a network disk called backups.

I select this disk, then it asks if I want to use both the local and network disk or just one. I select both, and it's done.

Multiple Time Machine Volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.