Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable Command-H keyboard shortcut.

I want to use Command-H for other reasons than hiding the current application. But I can't find how to disable that global keyboard command in system preferences.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 11:09 AM

8 replies

Mar 25, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I just bought a new (used) computer with OS 10.6 and I can get used to it if there's no way around it. But in OSX 10.4 I was able to use command-H for different tasks in numerous applications and if I accidentally hit command-H it hides my application. This is a case of a so-called improvement being a step backwards, as Apple has done to many things over the years.

Mar 25, 2015 7:42 PM in response to joefromcolrain

I used BetterTouchTool (BTT) to actually map Command-H to another function of my choosing on a Global Basis. But I'm sure I could have just as easily performed the mapping on a per app basis. I use BTT on 10.6, 10.7 and 10.9 versions of Mac OS X. It has been working very well for me. Initially I got it for its ability to give me list of extra trackpad gestures, but I've found the hotkey mapping to be useful as well.

I know the name QuickKeys, but I have never owned the product.

How can I disable Command-H keyboard shortcut.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.