Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help opening corrupt, out of date Numbers file index.xml missing

Hi there,

I cannot open a very important (for my taxes!) Numbers document because I get the error "index.xml" file is missing. I've tried all the other approaches I've seen on here (saving it as a zip file, emailing it to myself, etc.) but nothing has worked. I was using Numbers 08. I updated to Numbers 3.5.2 but now I can't open any Numbers files, although I get a different error for the one that wasn't opening before (files I COULD open before: "This spreadsheet can’t be opened because it’s too old. To open it, save it with Numbers ’09 first." The file that was giving me problems originally: "file can't be opened.")

I would be willing to purchase Numbers 09 but I haven't been able to find it online.

I am going to be in BIG trouble with the IRS if I can't access this info.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:03 AM

2 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:28 AM in response to madanda

Hi madanda,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your Numbers files. If you are having issues opening these files with a newer updated version of Numbers, you may want to see if you still have the previous versions of Numbers/iWork available on your computer, as noted in the following article:

Upgrade notification message when opening an iWork document - Apple Support

Regards,

- Brenden

Mar 29, 2015 6:25 AM in response to madanda

Hi madanda,

This works on OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite. I can run both Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) and Numbers 3.5.2 (Both are called Numbers 😉).

Here is a screen shot of both versions on my Dock:

User uploaded file

Numbers '09 on the left (three column chart) and Numbers 3 on the right (four column chart).

Look in your Applications folder for Numbers 3.

Look for a sub-folder called iWork '09 inside your Applications folder for Numbers 2.3.

You can drag icons to your Dock, then right click (or control click) on each and Options > Keep in Dock.

Both versions will run happily at the same time.

Just be sure which version is trying to open your document.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

Regards,

Ian.

Help opening corrupt, out of date Numbers file index.xml missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.