Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone recommend malwarebytes anti-malware 2.1 for iMac?

iMac, Also use iPad2, Apple TV and iPods

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:27 AM

OS X is not MS Windows and does not need any antivirus, cleaning, antimalware or performance enhancing applications. There is a small amount of Adware and Trojans in the wild, in order to keep these off your system using a small amount of common sense is extremely useful. First is do not visit any torrent sites and download software or applications from them. Next if you get any emails, phone calls or popups telling you your system is infected, or it must download something ignore the message.

Simply enjoy your Mac, update it regularly using Apple's App Store to check for updates, use a bit of common sense and you will likely be rewarded with years of trouble-free service.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 10:27 AM in response to LlamaLima

OS X is not MS Windows and does not need any antivirus, cleaning, antimalware or performance enhancing applications. There is a small amount of Adware and Trojans in the wild, in order to keep these off your system using a small amount of common sense is extremely useful. First is do not visit any torrent sites and download software or applications from them. Next if you get any emails, phone calls or popups telling you your system is infected, or it must download something ignore the message.

Simply enjoy your Mac, update it regularly using Apple's App Store to check for updates, use a bit of common sense and you will likely be rewarded with years of trouble-free service.

Mar 25, 2015 10:43 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured, but wanted to check to be sure. I recently listened to a radio interview with some cyber experts and they said the very same thing as you did. Based on their recommendations and their own personal behaviors and habits, I recently cancelled my MaCafee subscription, I no longer access any hyperlink sent to me in any email, no matter who it is from, I have installed a VPN, I use 1Password to access all my critical and important websites and all the other common-sense things one needs to do to keep ones system safe from the bad guys. Two things I do use, and the cyber expert guys recommended, are AdBlock and and Web of Trust (WOT) in my Chrome Browser and Safari browsers. I feel a lot better now.

Sep 1, 2015 10:04 PM in response to LlamaLima

I could not disagree more with the assertion above. Your question is about the "MalwareBytes" product in particular, and generalizations do not help. While MalwareBytes is anti-malware software, it is unique because unlike many similar offerings, it is equipped to deal with adware. It was formerly called AdwareMedic. You may not need its anti-malware capabilities, but its adware removal is incredibly valuable. It's either that or remove it all manually, which requires more time out of your day and runs the risk of incomplete or incorrect removal. You just need to keep in mind that downloading MalwareBytes is not a preventative measure, it will help you if you have already been infected with adware.

Sep 2, 2015 5:42 PM in response to LlamaLima

LlamaLima wrote:

Well, first, it should be noted that there is no Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 2.1. The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Windows product is currently at version 2.1.8, but the Mac version is new and is only at version 1.0.2. If you do decide to download it, be sure you get the right version.

Second, as to whether it's recommended, that depends on what exactly you want it to be recommended for. At this time, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac has one purpose only: adware and malware removal. It has no active protections, which also means that there's nothing going on in the background to slow your Mac down. If you think you're already infected with adware or malware, that's where it shines. It's free, so in such a case, there's really no reason not to try it and see if it fixes the problem. If you don't have any reason to think you're infected, you probably don't need it.

At some point in the future, we'll be offering additional products for the Mac with active scanning features, for those who want such things. Not everyone does, and for those who don't, our free consumer product will always remain free, and will not have such features.

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.