Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to drag and drop files in Time Machine Capsule?

Hi, all

I have recently bought a Time Machine 2 TB. I have backed up my MacBook Air over the Time Machine. I was trying to copy or drag and drop files in the time capsule, but it wont allow me. It Neither does allow me to create any new folders in the Airport Time Machine. If i try to drag and drop files in it, it says, click to Authenticate, however, there is no place or tab to authenticate. I am the administrator.

Please advise.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 1:38 PM

It sounds like you are trying to copy / paste files to the Time Capsule Finder icon, when you should be copying / pasting to the drive on the Time Capsule, which is named "Data" unless you have changed it.

Open any Finder window and look for the Time Capsule icon under the Shared heading on the left side of the window

Click on the Time Capsule, which will display a folder to the right named Data, unless you have changed the name of the drive

Double-cllick on Data to mount the drive on the desktop

You can drag / drop or copy / paste files onto the drive icon, or open the drive and drag files into the open window.

The first time that you do this, you may be asked for the Time Capsule device or disk password.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 1:38 PM in response to ksadoc

It sounds like you are trying to copy / paste files to the Time Capsule Finder icon, when you should be copying / pasting to the drive on the Time Capsule, which is named "Data" unless you have changed it.

Open any Finder window and look for the Time Capsule icon under the Shared heading on the left side of the window

Click on the Time Capsule, which will display a folder to the right named Data, unless you have changed the name of the drive

Double-cllick on Data to mount the drive on the desktop

You can drag / drop or copy / paste files onto the drive icon, or open the drive and drag files into the open window.

The first time that you do this, you may be asked for the Time Capsule device or disk password.

Jul 27, 2015 12:25 PM in response to sam2734

Whatever the size of the folder was that you added to the Time Capsule disk is the space that will be occupied on the Time Capsule disk.

The backup application will only back up the files that you tell it to. So, if you have a folder that is 10 GB, then 10 GB of space will be taken up on the Time Capsule disk when the data is transferred over.

How to drag and drop files in Time Machine Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.