Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie is Crashing Upon Start-up

iMovie has been working flawlessly, but recently every time I start it up and start to edit, it crashes. I did just load a 25+ min movie, and I've never done that before. No idea where to start to remedy this situation. Any tips? Suggestions? Thank you. Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" Version 10.10.2 Yosemite updated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:10 AM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 4:05 PM in response to PlantBasedCyclist

Are you having problems launching iMovie, or can you launch and begin editing? If you're having problems launching, I was able to fix my crash on launch in 10.0.7 with the steps below...

1. Locate your iMovie library in Finder (probably in ~/Movies).

2. Ctrl-click on it, and click Show Package Contents.

3. You should see a list of folders, one for each Event in your Library. Inside each Event folder, look for a folder called Transcoded Media. Inside that folder, look inside the folder called High Quality Media.

3. If you see any files with a filesize of zero bytes, delete it. (You could back up each file before deleting if it makes you more comfortable, but I had no problems just deleting them)

4. Relaunch the application.

After I performed these steps iMovie 10.0.7 launched just fine for me again. Hope it can hep you too...

iMovie is Crashing Upon Start-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.