Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Motion Effects in FCPX?

It's not that I want to create an Effect in Motion and then use it in FCPX. I just want FCPX able to access the Motion/Filters/Color Corrections.

My Panasonic GH4 is often giving me a slightly green patina in certain lighting, very hard to lift with FCPX normal color corrections. It looks like I can get a much better white balance with Motions color corrector.

So.. is there an easy way I can set up Motion's base effects so I can use them directly in FCPX, specifically the color corrector?

I've been scanning the web for an hour or two and not come up with anything ... other than actually 'creating' a new effect and publishing it so FCPX can use it.

I'm also very open to suggestions about how to get a really true, clean, white balance after-the-fact on a clip in FCPX (maybe there is a way I've not yet come across in the FCPX color grading system.

All ears,

Ben

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:42 AM

12 replies

Mar 25, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Ben Low

LOL. On a treadmill. Very perceptive. Yes, Lite.

Russ

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 25, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Apple Support Communities Updates < discussions-updates@apple.com> wrote:

User uploaded file
Apple Support Communities
Ben Low has posted in the Final Cut Pro X community.

Hi Russ,

Meaning 'Resolve Lite'?

You must have typed your note standing on your head, which is cool of course.

I do have Resolve, actually, and used to use it. But I'm trying to keep everything INSIDE FCPX.

To post a reply, go to the discussion in Apple Support Communities.
You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.
TM and copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.
All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support

Mar 25, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Ben Low

You can download the complete set of Motion Color Correction filters here ( http://sight-creations.com/free_stuff/MotionCCfilters.zip )

The only difference is the Levels effect doesn't have the nice graphical interface (you'll have to dial down the Histogram disclosure triangle and access the individual options [further disclosure triangles for each facet of the effect.])

Install in Users > your home folder > Movies > Motion Templates > Effects > create a category ("Motion CC for example)

HTH

Mar 26, 2015 7:41 AM in response to fox_m

Hi fox_m,

I must have misunderstood. I copied the Motion files into the appropriate folder. But they don't show up in FCPX (assuming one looks in the effects bin).

But then somewhere I read that the Motion effects don't work in FCPX, which is a bit confusing when I also read that FCPX is actually USING the Motion effects. So I'm confused.

B

The haiwako looks interesting, but needs a bit more reading: it says something about having to also have FxFactory Pro. Will continue to poke around.

Mar 26, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Ben Low

Final Cut Pro X DOES USE Motion Effects.

Make sure you placed those effects in exactly the right place.

Did you already have the "Motion Templates" folder, and the "Effects" folder inside that?

Or did you create them manually? These folders have to have an extension ".localized", otherwise they do not work. This extension is usually hidden, but you can check if it is there by selecting the folder and pressing Command-I for the Get Info window:

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Aha!

Thank you Luis! This actually did 'solve my question'. And actually, I owe 'fox_m' a click on the 'This solved my question'. I'd put the Motion CC folder in the Motion Templates folder, but NOT in the Motion Templates > Effects folder, where it should have gone.

So I owe both you guys a click on the 'This solved my question.' I'm not sure how the clicks work - I'll start chronologically. I suspect 'fox_m' will get the credit. But thank you mucho Luis, for the punchline.

I'm a happy camper.

Ben

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.