Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit word count

I haven't been able to find a word count for a TextEdit document. I'm occasionally required to write to a certain word limit. How can I get a word count on a TextEdit document? Thanks.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 11:40 AM

Another way to see a word count in TextEdit involves the Find (command+F) tool. Once you have launched it, press the search icon in the left of the input field. At the bottom of this menu, select Insert Pattern. Then click the menu item, Any Word Characters. The word count will appear on the right side of the Find input window.

User uploaded file

This was also verified with WordService Statistics service from the free Devon Technologies WordService collection in the OS X App Store.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2015 11:40 AM in response to RSH458

Another way to see a word count in TextEdit involves the Find (command+F) tool. Once you have launched it, press the search icon in the left of the input field. At the bottom of this menu, select Insert Pattern. Then click the menu item, Any Word Characters. The word count will appear on the right side of the Find input window.

User uploaded file

This was also verified with WordService Statistics service from the free Devon Technologies WordService collection in the OS X App Store.

Mar 25, 2015 11:50 AM in response to RSH458

You can also save this Automator Workflow (as WordCount) as an Automator Service, then ⌘A in TextEdit, right click and select WordCount:

User uploaded file

osascript <<-AppleScriptHereDoc

tell application "TextEdit"

set word_count to count words of document 1

set char_count to count characters of document 1

set show_words to (word_count as string) & " words. (" & (char_count as string) & " characters.)"

set dialog_title to "TextEdit Word Count"

display dialog show_words with icon 1 with title dialog_title buttons {"Ok"} default button "Ok"

end tell

AppleScriptHereDoc

Mar 9, 2017 8:37 AM in response to VikingOSX

This is a reasonable way to find word count. Thank you, Viking.

The whole automator solution is hilarious! So many steps, so sophisticated, so complex and time consuming for something so fundamental and basic as a word or character count! Hahahahaha!

Even this Find dialogue search is unnecessarily complicated. I had to read the post carefully 3 times before I saw that we needed to click on the tiny magnifying glass and then go to some completely non-intuitive menu, which eventually led me to a word count, thanks to Viking. I wish Apple would just clean up these old NEXT applications and add a few things like a simple one click word count. Geez! It's ridiculous. I own Pages and Word and should not have to open them for something simple like this.

I love something simple like TextEdit to write in without all the bells and whistles, but word count is neither bell nor whistle.

I have genuine sadness to see the MacOS slide into so many non-intuitive directions where basic settings are hidden from users and far too difficult to fine without going to a tech support forum.

This is not your father's Apple...

Mar 25, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Niel

I followed those directions but got a message saying "the variable HUNT032615 (the name I gave the document) is not defined."

Am I supposed to use something other than the name of the document?

Also, is there a way to set TextEdit up so it gives me a word count on all documents as the default position?

Thank you very much

Jun 8, 2015 10:42 AM in response to RSH458

Niel's solution worked, and I found another by clicking here. I'm so not an expert. So it took me awhile to realize that the author's first step means to select the wheel icon marked "Service" right off in automator. The plain Workforce that is already highlighted does not have that top step 1. business you need. After everything and clicking untitled in the top middle to save the creature as Word Count, I do not know if I was supposed to click Run. I did quit automator and couldn't find my Word Count anywhere. Then I went back in automator and tried to Open Recent. It offered me the option to Install, which I did. Then Word Count worked every time I right clicked on my highlighted text in the text edit. Yippee!

TextEdit word count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.