Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI to mini display port problem

I bought an early 2014 13" Macbook Air running on OS X Yosemite. I also bought a mini display port to HDMI port adapter (Apple Brand) as the Macbook Air does not have an HDMI port. No matter what I try (unplugging it, plugging it back in, in every combination of the adapter, the HDMI cable, the tv, etc.) I'm unable to get anything other than a flash of a black screen on my laptop and a No Signal message on my television. The cables are all hooked in correctly and the tv is on the channel corresponding with the HDMI cord placement, but still there is no connection happening seemingly. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Hello spvalentine,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To start troubleshooting this issue where your TV is showing No Signal with your MacBook Air plugged in, please follow the troubleshooting steps below.

No video or no signal, image distortion, "snow," or flickering

Check connections

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays from the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Take care,

Alex H.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 10:45 AM in response to spvalentine

Hello spvalentine,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To start troubleshooting this issue where your TV is showing No Signal with your MacBook Air plugged in, please follow the troubleshooting steps below.

No video or no signal, image distortion, "snow," or flickering

Check connections

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Reset the resolution

Start by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays from the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Take care,

Alex H.

Apr 2, 2015 6:30 AM in response to spvalentine

I have same problem, but its started step by step and now its very painfull. When i connecting adapter then a flash of a black screen on my laptop and a No Signal message on my television. But some times it works too, no glue why. Today I went to store to test with other TV's and everytihg works with same adapter.

I tryed safe mode, restart NVRAM - nothing better. I have both logs also, with working and not working.

Apr 21, 2015 8:04 AM in response to spvalentine

I have the same issue. It started about a couple months ago.

I believe there is a bug somewhere with an OS update. We have two MacBook Air computers (info below) in our office. We have the Amazon mini display port to HDMI as well as the Kanex iAdapt Mini DisplayPort. The Amazon adapter was purchased a couple weeks ago and the Kanex was purched in 2012 and has worked flawlessly up until a couple months ago.

I reset the PRAM to fix the issue. After putting the computer to sleep (lid closed) and opening, HDMI no longer works, regardless of TV or adapter.

Fully reproducible on both of our macbook Air computers. Tried with two separate TVs and different HDMI cables. (and tried a variety of variations on this).

shutting down computer or restarting does not fix. In fact after a restart and login i get the progress bar at about 5% and then the computer restarts again. (not sure if that issue is related or not)

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B18

SMC Version (system): 2.13f15

Serial Number (system): [removed]

Hardware UUID: [removed]

HDMI to mini display port problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.