Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macsweeper deleted photos

Hello,

I unfortunately am a victim of macsweeper. I am not even sure of how it was installed on my computer, but with the help of some amazing people that I spoke with from Apple Support I have removed it from my mac. I have been having trouble with some of my photos in iPhoto (version 9.6.1), there are some thumbnails that are a gray box with a white dotted line around it. I did try the suggestion of holding down the command + option buttons during startup and tried to rebuild thumbnails, along with all of the options without any luck.

I came across a post from someone with the same issue and in one of the responses someone had asked if they had used any type of sweep software or had macsweeper. I am nervous that I have lost some of my photos/videos due to the malware. Is there any way that I can restore my photos? I do have time machine, however I can not find the originals anywhere. Also, the iphone that had the original pictures/videos was stolen.

If anyone is able to help I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you in advance 🙂

Jess W

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 12:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2015 12:16 PM in response to jwelsh802

I do have time machine, however I can not find the originals anywhere.

Did you go back far enough in time on Time Machine, to a day before you ran Mac Sweeper?

I would not bother with trying to restore the originals separately, but restore the iPhoto Library to a separate drive and see, if the versions and originals will be correctly linked in that library.

macsweeper deleted photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.