Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could the battery of the iphone 5 be the cause of this much crap?

Hi

i have an iphone 5 wich is about 2 years old now

and now i could probably throw it in the trashcan since im in a recovery loop

Here is are my problems:

After couple of months of use without any problems, the iphone suddently turns off and on randomly

but ONLY if its on standby mode, when im using the phone it does not turn off/on randomly... ever

As times goes by now the Iphone shut itself off when im not using the phone for long time (by long time i mean after a night of sleep)

When i go to sleep i know my phone will be turned off by the next morning (this probably after a couple of random restarts because this problem still hasn't fixed after updating to ios7 and then later to ios8)

I always to use a Hard reset to turn it back on... every morning... because i cant turn the phone back on the normal way

Now my second problem

I had ios 6 when i bought the phone and only did 3 updates wich where i am now at ios8

i dont update regularly, i will tell you why

EVERY UPDATE was a complete nightmare

it ALWAYS gets stuck at some point during the update

either its, waiting for iphone - checking apple server - progress bar that is stuck at 10% or 95%, errors #2 and all those other error numbers

i always needed to try 100+ times before it finnaly works 1 time (6 hours of non stop trying was the minimum for each update)

but this one is different,

i want to upgrade to ios 8.2 from 8 and i tried almost 2 days straight of disconnecting and connecting to try BUT IT DOESNT WORK?

yes i tried non stop wich i am still trying now, it doesn't want to work

it completed it 2 times but whenever i got the message: do not unplug the iphone it will restart in couple moments

... it does not restart and im still stuck at recovery mode

i also want to mention that when the message appears the progress bar isn't 100% rather 95%

is there any possibility that an bad working battery is the cause of this?

im about to give up and thinking to buy a iphone 6 and just smash this iphone 5 into pieces

sorry for the long text but this is like all the problems you can get in a single phone

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

iPhone 5

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:20 PM

13 replies

Mar 25, 2015 6:53 PM in response to QiQiDude

As far as battery coverage goes, take a look at this site and see if your phone might qualify for the battery replacement program. That program covers 3 years after the purchase date if your phone's serial number qualifies.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Also, getting the iPhone to a working state is usually done pretty painless at the Apple Retail Store. They let you know up front if there is going to be a charge so you don't have to worry about taking your phone in and them requiring you to pay them to get your phone back. It certainly never hurts to try.

Trying the restore with another computer never hurts in case you wish to avoid the store.

Mar 25, 2015 8:26 PM in response to jfox822

Hi yes i tried it on my fathers laptop with no luck

i also tried it on an apple mac also no luck

and yes i also looked if my iphone is qualified for the battery replacement but it seems that mine iphone is not a problematic one

the problem is an apple store is in another country here 😟

i live in belgium and the nearest apple store is in the netherlands

am i the only one who got random turning off and on problem and unable to update with the first (couple) tries??

because i googled all over the place and these problems almost do not occur

Mar 30, 2015 4:13 AM in response to QiQiDude

Really if a restore doesn't work or you can't get the restore to go through, you would want to look at a hardware repair.

The hardest restore you can do is with recovery mode (turn off the device and hold down the home button while you plug it into the computer, keep holding the home button until you get iTunes logo on the phone; then when iTunes asks if you want to update or restore, click restore).

If any issue persists through that, it is not a software problem, it is a hardware one. Which unfortunately, puts you in a pickle.

Mar 31, 2015 1:10 AM in response to QiQiDude

QiQiDude wrote:

am i the only one who got random turning off and on problem and unable to update with the first (couple) tries??

because i googled all over the place and these problems almost do not occur

You answered your own question. It is not a known issue, so an Apple Certified Tech should be able to help you out as there are no Apple Stores there. Where did you purchase it?

Pete

Mar 31, 2015 4:24 AM in response to petermac87

i bought it in Hong Kong where my sister lives

i asked her to buy an iphone and bring it to me when she came to visit us in belgium

yes we have company "switch" here witch are apple certified tech but they charge us €70 an hour for finding out what the problem is

i rather buy a new iphone 6 if thats the case

if all my updates never succeeded after the first try but after 6 hours+ and 100 of tries then i think its a hardware problem

Could the battery of the iphone 5 be the cause of this much crap?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.