Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop a large Movie Export that is giving me errors, and the "X" is not available to stop it?

I have been creating very large movies (2.5 hours or so) and have run into an issue trying to Export or "Share" the movie. Unknown -50 error. But, iMovie keeps trying over and over to finish the export. About 300 to 500 MBs is actually exported, sorta (out of the projected 5-8GBs that it should be). It is consuming all the resources on my MacBook Pro (running Yosemite OS X 10.10.2 and iMovie 10.0.7).

The option to stop the export in the top right hand corner is NOT available.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPhone 4 32GB

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:48 PM

4 replies

Mar 26, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Scammatron

Clicking the white progress circle at the top right of the iMovie window should open a window with a cross on the right hand side. Clicking this should abort the share.

-50 rendering error means that there is a corrupted clip somewhere in your project. Sometimes just copying everything into a new project and sharing that does the trick. If this doesn't work you have to split your projects into smaller parts and try sharing each part. This way you can narrow down where the problem lies.

In fact I always make larger projects out of a collection of smaller ones by exporting them separately then 'glueing' them together using Quicktime Player (I use version 7 Pro but the latest one can also do the job). You have "less eggs in each basket" and editing becomes more manageable and responsive.

Geoff.

Mar 26, 2015 12:03 PM in response to GeeD

Thank You Geoff,

the small "X" in the Activity "Circle" was NOT available, when I tried multiple times to abort the operation.

But, yes, you are right. corruption is the issue. But the problem I was having , is that iMovie was stuck "in a Loop": failing, and re-trying without giving me the option to abort.

Somehow last night, I was able to get into the project and delete the 2nd half of the video. It spun it's wheels several more times, but finally understood what I was trying to tell it.

Why do We let computers Tell Us What to Do? We should Be Telling Them What To Do? Right?

Anyway,

Many Thanks for your Help in this matter.

I need a new Power Mac, with more HorsePower!!!!!

I will keep your good advice in mind for future work! THANK YOU!

Love, Peace and Hair Grease.

Glen

How do I stop a large Movie Export that is giving me errors, and the "X" is not available to stop it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.