Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prores vs share to dvd - screening on tv

Hi!

I will screen my 20 minutes video (old footage 720x576) on a tv. Should I play it directly from my mac (prores 422) or burn it to a dvd? The dvd option will make a much smaller file, but there might be advantages using dvd format? Do you usually just use the built in share to dvd in fcpx?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:06 PM

14 replies

Mar 26, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Sauermugg

The best way, which I use, is to export your video as H.264 which will give a tiny file size of around 400MB which can be played on a computer, iPad or even via most newish Blu-ray players if you put it on a USB memory stick or hard drive.

The quality will be indistinguishable from the original even though theoretically it isn't quite as good.

Mar 26, 2015 4:34 AM in response to Sauermugg

Just to mention media streaming devices like Apple TV. The streaming device connects to your network (say, wi-fi) and your TV. . You'd have a library of files in iTunes. You access your library from a menu that displays on the TV. There is an Apple TV Share option in FCP. Pretty convenient way to show home movies and commercial ones.

Russ

Mar 26, 2015 4:56 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Just to mention media streaming devices like Apple TV. …

… not to mention AirPlay, which I discovered for myself just lately:

Finding something interesting on my iPad while surfing the iNet, a swoosh with the finger, over the icon and content is on the Big Screen ala living room telly... niiiice!

Which is, to some degree, a 'new' way of remote-control:

I scrolll thru content at YT/Vimeo/et al, preview the thumbnails, select a video and then throw it for viewing on the TV....

... so much about 'A Hobby', as SJ declared the little black box ...

Mar 26, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

This was what I read;

"Problem is you're going full screen on the Mac that blows the SD video up a LOT in size. That brings in a significant degradation in image quality"

In another post there was someone saying that apple tv was better than hdmi Connection.

And yet anotherone said: I use QT7Pro Player, and use View > Present Movie, then set it to "Actual Size". That has always given the best possible video quality for me.

Mar 26, 2015 6:31 AM in response to Sauermugg

You seem to be getting some very dodgy info.

HDMI will not degrade the image . . . it will transmit the original image file perfectly, warts and all.

If you convert your video to H.264 as I suggested, you will get extremely small file sizes and there will be no discernible difference in quality.

Obviously the bigger the screen, the more you will notice the imperfections of your original video.

Enlarging the image does not cause degradation per se, it simply makes the shortcomings of your video more obvious as mentioned in the previous sentence.

If you want to create the illusion that your images are perfect, watch them on a tiny screen like a camera LCD or phone!

If your films are worth watching, nobody will mind the fact that the original video was less than perfect technically.

Mar 26, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Sauermugg

It's not exactly in answer to your original question but this may be pertinent.

During the last week I have been editing many hours of video from VHS tapes made during the 1990s.

I converted them to DV in a DAC 100 analogue to digital converter so I could import them into FCP X.

After being used to editing 1080p and "normal" DV, these VHS conversions looked appalling technically in the timeline and I wondered whether I was wasting my time, but when I played the final edit on my 40" TV nobody noticed that they weren't up to modern standards of sharpness and colour fidelity, they were only too happy to relive old memories that the images and sound evoked.

Prores vs share to dvd - screening on tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.