Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is locked and can't update because it's using an old apple ID

Hey guys,

I recently update my macbook pro to the OS Yosemite. When I downloaded it, it locked iPhoto up and doesn't allow me to update without the apple ID and password. It won't let me change the old apple ID (one I have never used on mac before...) to update it to the new one. I can't access my photos without changing this. I have tried signing out and back in.

Please help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 8:11 PM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2015 2:50 AM in response to blamb12

To elaborate a bit on Niel's advice:

The iPhoto application you have currently installed is associated with the AppleID that has been used, when the Mac has been set up. Since it is impossible to change the association of an application with the Apple ID, you have to delete it and buy a copy of iphoto using your current AppleID, if you cannot activate the old AppleID again.

iPhoto is now listed as free on the main page of the AppStore.

• Delete your copy of iPhoto, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Sign into the AppStore with your current AppleID (The "Store" menu in the AppStore app),
  • Then go to the main "Featured" tab of the App Store and enter "iPhoto" into the search field and download it.

Be sure you have a current backup of your iPhoto Library, before you run the new iPhoto version the first time. The iPhoto library will beed to be upgraded to a new format, and that can sometimes go wrong, if iPhoto crashes during the upgrade. Check, if you have plenty of free storage on your system drive.

iPhoto is locked and can't update because it's using an old apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.