Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not see the my time capsule using my iMac

I have my time capsule for years. Now got an error saying "time capsule was previously part of your network. Check that it is still in range of your network and is plugged into a power outlet.." I have an iMac and always worked fine. It happens after changing address and internet provider. Any help?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:58 PM

3 replies

Mar 25, 2015 7:15 PM in response to eruvolojr

If you changed your Internet provider, then you have a new network. The Time Capsule is still programmed with settings to work with your old network, which is no longer there, so the Time Capsule is lost and cannot find its way.

Reset the Time Capsule by holding in the reset button on the back of the device for 10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

User uploaded file

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on your modem to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the Time Capsule

Open up AirPort Utility again, click on Other WiFi Devices, then click on Time Capsule and set up the Time Capsule again.

Mar 26, 2015 6:40 AM in response to eruvolojr

A static IP address for the Time Capsule might help if you have the ability to do that.

There is a setting for IPv6 on your Mac that you might want to check as follows:

Open System Preferences (gear icon on he dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi to highlight it, then click Advanced

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Then, click on Ethernet to highlight it

Click Advanced

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Then, restart the Mac computer

Can not see the my time capsule using my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.