Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb intermittent

6 month old MBP with 10.10.2 OS. bought an Apple USB keyboard. It doesn't always work from both sides of the MBP. Sometimes it will work from the left, sometimes from the right. If start working from one side, I can't pull it out and switch. I don't know how to force it to start working by shutting down or restarting either. One would think a shut down would start everything over. I can't pull out the battery either to make sure it loses all energy and starts over. PR and SC resets are worthless. I thought it was the hub since I would put that into the mix and would have issues plugging the keyboard into the hub. I have a WD "My Book" 2T drive for my time machine. It works but when the MBP goes to sleep sometimes it drops off. I took it into the genius bar and the keyboard worked either side "of course". Diagnostics show no problems. I see there are many stories about poor functioning USB ports; some more consistently failing than mine. Oh, one other thing. If I restart the computer with the 2T plugged into the computer with its own password I can't sign into the computer. I have to pull out the drive and restart to get the same laptop computer password to work correctly. I'm perplexed and frustrated. I have used macs since 1984 up to this millennium so I don't know much about the new OS and hardware.

What is my next avenue to get a decent working MBP?

Gibbstown.

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 8:40 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Gibbstown

IDK if anyone can answer the problem but I have an update. I found out that to get the USB keyboard to function again I need to disconnect all USB wires (IDK if I have to) and then shut the MBP down and leave it for a long time. When I start it back up with the keyboard plugged in and boot up it seems to be working fine no matter which side I plug it in. Therefore, when I bring it to the genius bar it works since it was shut down for a day. I didn't know enough to switch sides to test it out.

If no one has any clue how to answer this, then I guess it is a "feature" and I have to live with it. At least I don't think I would have this issue with a PC. I never thought I would say something like that.

usb intermittent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.