Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Yosemite and Bootcamp XP stopped working

Hello. Thank you ahead for any help anyone can provide.

I've read several threads on this but am not sure they apply to my problem. I have a spring 2011 iMac 27". Run Windows XP via bootcamp. I do have 3 partitions show up when I access the boot selector on startup. Mac HD, Bootcamp, Recovery. When I select Bootcamp, Windows starts to load, gets 2 bars, then crashes to blue screen and the computer immediately restarts.

I ran testdisk and the partition start/end points seem to be correct. (no gaps or over lap). At this point I'm not really sure what to do. :/

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 10:18 PM

38 replies

Mar 26, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Loner T

I do believe thats what it is, but its gone in less than half a second and the computer restarts. I get 2 progress bars on the Windows load up, it freezes for a sec, the blue screen flashes on, then the computer restarts. Also when it tries to start Windows I do get to the screen asking if I want to start in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last working version etc... So it does seem Windows is actually starting to load then crashes. All options crash.

Heres what flashes on for a split second.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Gd5150

What versions of OSX did you upgrade from?

From OSX Terminal, please post the output of the following commands. The "sudo" requires your password, which is not echoed back to you. It may also warn you about improper use of sudo and potential data loss, if abused.

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Mar 26, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Loner T

I avoided OS upgrades since I purchased the machine so I do believe I was still on snow leopard. Was trying to avoid a bunch of junk installed and problems created when OS's are "upgraded". I did update the software, etc...just not the OS. Unfortunately I had to do this one because Safari was not working anymore, and some other software I had to use. And now iMovie, iPhoto, the dock, are all worse looking and worse off, plus I have a bunch of BS like "notifications" wasting resources. I digress, is there any way to be sure which OS I was on before I installed Yosemite?

Here are the results of the above sudo commands.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Loner T

I'll have to locate an external drive, as the largest external disc I have right now is a 16gig sd card.

I can read the bootcamp drive from the OS X side. The Microsoft link your posted is for Win 7. I have win XP. The link you sent says it can be a problem with the file bootcat.cache, this file doesn't appear to be in Windows XP. I did Google the error code for XP and it says it says it can happen if you have Roxio Goback on your system. I don't have that.

Let me see what happens when I boot OS X from an external device.

Mar 26, 2015 10:20 PM in response to Loner T

I do not have the option to load without drivers. I do have my original OS X install disc, and Windows XP disc. I tried to run repair but cannot remember my windows admin password. The partition is totally readable. I can access it in OS X. I can read it from the command prompt when I started the computer with the Windows XP disc.

Mar 27, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Loner T

Ok I ran chkdsk /p and /r. It didn't report any errors this time but it took a while so I do believe it fixed a few. When running /r when it corrects an error it starts over at 0%. I know this happened at least once. However Windows is still crashing at startup. Heres a capture of the screen when starting safemode just before it crashes.

User uploaded file

Mar 27, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Loner T

Ok I may have found the problem. According to Microsoft when when Windows XP crashes at this point, it can be a driver issue, after unplugging all devices Windows still crashes. So maybe it's a drivers problem. According to Apple:

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?

Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows.

I just checked and my version of bootcamp is now 5.1. It does not support Windows XP.

So now the question is, if this is the case, what do I do to roll back bootcamp? Or do I have to erase the Bootcamp partition and install Windows 7 or higher?

Mar 27, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Gd5150

The version that you are referring to is the Bootcamp Assistant version, not the BC Drivers that are installed on the WXP side. WXP is self-contained once fully installed. Drivers can be updated by Windows Update or manually when booted in XP.

I recommend installing the version of OSX (SL) on a USB (or external disk) and trying to bring up Windows.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt ports, a new set of devices are added. Such devices can cause problem.

User uploaded file

Updated to Yosemite and Bootcamp XP stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.