Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

locations services

i have iPhone 6 and have locations services working fine I brought Ipad 2 ren and I can't get location to work have tried rest, hard reset iTunes reset omg please can someone help please oh its wifi only yes

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:24 AM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2015 5:25 AM in response to mylo7

Wi-Fi only iPads do not have a GPS chip. To determine location the Wi-Fi only iPad must use the location of the Wi-Fi router it's connected to to determine approximate location. Unfortunately not all Wi-Fi routers are in Apples location database. Also when routers are moved it may take a long time beforetoheir location is updated.

Mar 26, 2015 12:26 PM in response to mylo7

mylo7 wrote:

Yes I have seen this answer before but it did not work my question to u is why does my iPhone 6 works but not my mini iPad not same router

The iPhone does not use a router.

A mini-education:

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Map software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc. Navigation software is "map software on steroids." It goes one step further in that it provides real-time directions to enable you to reach a desired destination.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once/year). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internet and requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

locations services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.