Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore unknown error 53

My Touch ID stooped working the iStore people advised me to reset the settings, after that failed to resolve issue, they said to restore the phone to factory. I plugged it into iTunes on my computer, did the latest back up, downloaded the latest software and then clicked restore. It was telling me that iTunes is preparing for iPhone restore for a while before I got the error: "Your iPhone could not be backed up due to unknown error (53)". I have tried restarting my computer and even used a different computer since I couldn't switch my iPhone on, I keep getting the same error.

Does anyone know what I can do and how long it'd take to get my phone back if I take it into the iStore?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:45 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2015 8:46 PM in response to AshleyMakue

I've had the exact same problem. Touch ID stopped working. It turned itself off in Settings. Got an error when I tried to turn it back on so backed everything up and tried a restore, got half way through to 'verifying software' and then 'Unabled to restore 'Jamie's iPhone" iPhone. Unknown error (53)". Apple advised me to try different USB cable, different port, different MacBook and different version of iTunes. Eventaully they asked me to take it in to the authorised repair shop in Singapore. They have sent it off for inspection but warned that because it had a few dents on the corner that Apple may refuse to fix it under warranty.

There are other posts on here that also point to faulty Touch ID sensor or the if the sensor is replaced they get the same error. There is obviously a problem with these fingerprint scanners which causes error 53. I'll be very annoyed if Apple don't replace my phone and try to use the dents as an excuse to cover up what is an obvious fault.

Restore unknown error 53

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.