Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i install samsung 850 pro 1 tb solid state drive in my "macbook pro 2012 mid".

Hi, anyone know. can i install samsung 850 pro 1 tb solid state drive in my "macbook pro 2012 mid". any compatibility issues?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:25 AM

12 replies

Mar 26, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Billy 56

"In addition to TRIM, I just stumbled on this discussion. One of the posters is having some odd difficulties with that combination."
Yup and that's why I've avoided any 3rd party SSDs.

I only deal with:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC

I've done 6 so far and no problems at all; formatting, installing nothing. Total no brainer. I did have a small formatting problem on my last one but I called them and solved the problem before the guy got on the phone. He immediately offered a return sticker (RMA) but I didn't need it and the MBP is running fine.

Mar 26, 2015 10:51 AM in response to spudnuty

spudnuty wrote:

...Yup and that's why I've avoided any 3rd party SSDs.

I only deal with:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC...

I deal only with OWC for the same reasons you do but in terms of replacing HD's or SSD's installed by Apple, OWC's offering are all third party too. The difference is their unstinting support and careful choice of what they sell. I use both OWC and non-OWC SSD's but they've all come from OWC.

As the thread I linked to has developed further, it looks like the problem was with the Mac, not the SSD.

Mar 26, 2015 3:14 PM in response to spudnuty

SSD's do, indeed, wear out, but I think they've become a lot more robust. At the same time, one of the overlooked or misunderstand benefits of TRIM is that, since valid data has to be moved prior to erasing blocks for reuse, to the extent unneeded movement of data (write-amplification) is reduced or avoided, such as deleted files that TRIM notifies the SSD controller to ignore, the SSD is exercised less. That's likely also true, though to a much smaller extent, of "atime" being active. Every little bit helps.

The one thing that's certain is nothing is ever simple.😉

can i install samsung 850 pro 1 tb solid state drive in my "macbook pro 2012 mid".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.