Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display not loading wallpaper, just blank black background?

Hello!

So, last night I was attempting to change my background image, and when I clicked on the particular image that I wanted and selected, "set as desktop background," the picture I was using previously disappeared and was replaced by a solid black screen. All of my programs/applications still work, I can still access my dock, and nothing else seems to be wrong.

I tried doing a sudo kill to in the terminal, to kill the dock, and that didn't work. Tried using terminal to shut down, and it shut down but the desktop remained the same black color.

When I log in to the computer, at the login screen I can still see the blurred version of my previous desktop, but when I log in, that's gone too.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this would be great. I've googled it for the past hour and can't seem to find the right solution.

B

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:23 AM

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following items to the Desktop, if they exist:

Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db

Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the items you moved to the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 9:23 AM in response to b_ridge_tte

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following items to the Desktop, if they exist:

Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db

Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the items you moved to the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

Display not loading wallpaper, just blank black background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.