Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro has become slow

I had OS X Snow Leopard as the default installed OS X when I bought my Macbook Pro(15 Inch) in the fall of 2010. Since then I have been upgrading/updating the software as and when the App Store prompted me that the software update is available. I was very happy with the speed & overall working of my Macbook Pro. However since OS X Mavericks came, things started slowing down & now since I have upgraded to OS X Yosemite, now version being 10.10.2, speed is a thing of the past & my Mac is not just slow, but most apps hang midway. The processor is 2.4 GHz & Memory is 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3. Can anyone out there suggest if there is a way to make my Macbook as fast as before if not more? Also, if there is a way to :

a) instal a faster RAM & a bigger HD incase either of these or both are problem?

b) If reverting back to OS X Snow Leopard is possible? (I am aware this could be a remote possibility but still hoping).

I am based in India & no one here has a clue to trouble shoot Apple products let alone service them well. Any help from my American/European friends in the community will be much appreciated. Thanks a ton !!

Regards,

N.Vishwanath

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:42 AM

You could do either one. The easiest solution would be more RAM and replacing your hard drive with an SSD.

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 5:38 AM in response to N.Vishwanath

When I say "you", I mean you or someone you hire to do that. Any authorized Apple service centre could do such an upgrade. If you are handy with tools and/or adventurous, you can do it yourself. Here is a site with a number of guides for various types of upgrades: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22_Unibody_Mid_2010

If you look around, you could probably find how-to videos too.

Mar 30, 2015 5:48 AM in response to N.Vishwanath

OWC has great how to videos, look under the Support link at the top of their website. Upgrading RAM on the older MacBook Pros is very simple (be sure to get the tool set). Replacing the hard drive isn’t really complex either. I’m drawing a blank at the moment - I think the model you have requires that you remove some rails on the old drive and place them on the new hard drive.

At any rate, upgrading the RAM will improve your computer’s speed and the addition of an SSD will make the computer seem totally new. Both upgrades gave my 2009 MBP two more years of life and it now has a new totally happy owner.

Macbook Pro has become slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.