Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless connectivity issue after new Airport Extreme

I have an older Time Capsule and recently bought a new Airport Extreme to "replace" it as my main wireless hub. I currently have an Express which extends the network, and am attempting to use all three to extend the network further. Extreme as the main hub, with the other two extending the network. I have Comcast.

After plugging in the Extreme, all show that they are connected. However, no wireless devices are able to connect. I have rebooted everything several times to no success. After rebooting, connectivity lasts approximately 2-3 minutes.

Anything I can do?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:45 AM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Bdmac79

Just to be sure I understand your current network configuration are both extending base stations connected to the new AirPort Extreme by wired or wireless connections? If both are wireless, are they roughly equidistant from the Extreme and what is between each and the Extreme? That is, walls, floors, ceilings, etc.? ... and what it the basic construction material used in your home ... plaster, wood, concrete, etc.?

Mar 26, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Tesserax

Both extending stations are connected wirelessly.

They are both roughly equal in distance from each other, but the Extreme is next to the router. The Time Capsule is the farthest away.

There is a wall and kitchen between the Extreme and the Express, and two bathrooms and two walls between the Express and the Time Capsule currently.

Main construction would be plaster and wood interiorly.

I'm not as concerned with the extending stations at the moment, but simply being able to connect devices in the living space next to the Extreme.

Mar 26, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Bdmac79

They are both roughly equal in distance from each other, but the Extreme is next to the router.

Wait, what router? You have only mentioned one Extreme, one Express, and a Time Capsule. Did I miss something in your configuration? Is that what you meant by "using all three to extend the network further?" If so, what is the make & model# of this router? I assume that it is provided to you by Comcast? Would this be your "main" router then?

Is the Extreme connected to this router by Ethernet or by wireless?

Mar 26, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Bdmac79

Ok, no problem. I just wanted to be sure.

Ok, the key to extending a Wi-Fi network via wireless connections is two-fold:

• The extending wireless station must be within a certain Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) range of the base station that it is extending to maximize the overall bandwidth of the wireless network. The extending base station can only repeat the signal at the bandwidth that it receives it. Please check out the following AirPort User tip for details on optimal base station placement.
  • An extended network works in a sort of "wheel" fashion. That is, the base station to be extended would be at the hub of this wheel and each of the extending base stations would be on one of the wheel's spokes. They do not work in a linear fashion, like a daisy-chain.

So with that in mind, I know the model# of your AirPort Extreme, what are they for the other two base stations?

Mar 29, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Bdmac79

No, as I would have expected that you should have been able to use the Extreme as the "main" and the Time Capsule as the extender. The new 802.11ac base station used a much improved antenna design even over the 802.11n "tower" models. It may be possible that because of that the Extreme was able to "see" the Time Capsule (to extend it) better than the other way around.

Wireless connectivity issue after new Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.