Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if you don't sync, backup or update IPhone 6.

What happens if you don't sync, backup or update an IPhone 6? My ex wife is in a small town with a new 6 and has no computer or wifi. What are the consequences? We tried to to backup on a public network at the local library, not the best option I know, but the network was too slow. We were able to set up an ICloud account. Everything I read and Apple Care says the phone must be locked, plugged in and connected to Wifi to perform any of these functions. We can get her a private network at home , but it is quite expensive as you might imagine. Any advice greaty appreciated!

iPhone 6

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 5:55 AM

11 replies

Mar 26, 2015 6:08 AM in response to dcbrown1911

Without sync or backup, the iPhone becomes the only source for whatever

data/media/pictures/information is on it. If the iPhone becomes inoperative

and has to be replaced or an upgrade of the iOS fails or other event that

requires resetting the iPhone occurs, all information on the

iPhone is lost and not recoverable. If loss of all those items does not

concern you, then continue your current course of inaction. This is not meant

to be snarky, but you are responsible for protecting your data/information and

the iPhone (indeed no smart phone or computing device) is meant to be the sole

repository of anything that has value to you.

Did she try other sources of public wifi - local school/university, coffee shops,

other businesses offering free wifi? Or perhaps a co-worker would allow her

occasional access to their home wifi.

Mar 26, 2015 6:23 AM in response to imobl

Kind of you to respond so quickly. No worry about the snark factor. In a town of less than 2000 people, no coffee shops, schools or universities I'm afraid. No co workers either. Kind of an isolated existence technology wise in these rural areas. I guess , as crazy as it sounds , OTHER than the loss of data , any glaring dangers to the functioning of a phone in this situation? I'll be traveling there in 6 weeks or so and can get the job done on my Macbook if necessary. When we were married I maintained all our tech. Now with her 800 miles away, not so much.

Mar 26, 2015 6:29 AM in response to dcbrown1911

You may wish to look into a wifi-enabled backup drive. I believe both Western Digital

and Seagate make some, and maybe other manufacturers - those 2 names just came

to mind as I was posting. While a little more expensive than normal portable drives,

they include the hardware to generate their own wifi network to which the iPhone could

connect. Use your favorite search engine, and read the reviews to see if any would meet

your needs.

Mar 26, 2015 7:53 AM in response to dcbrown1911

You are welcome. Hopefully you will find something that will enable her to protect her

important information.

Be advised that many cellular providers limit download size so she may not always

be able to immediately update some apps and iOS versions without access to

wifi.

She might want to ask at her place of employment. Many companies use Internet to

file reports to the home office, order supplies, etc. Perhaps her employer could assist

with occasional wifi access.

Mar 26, 2015 2:16 PM in response to dcbrown1911

The wifi drive should cover her backup needs. Updates for apps and/or iOS larger

than whatever her cellular plan caps downloads at will have to wait until she gets

access to wifi - such as if she travels. Or if she can be without her iPhone for a few

days, she can send it to you for the updates and you can return after the installs. Just

do it on a schedule that is convenient rather than everytime there is an update.

Mar 26, 2015 5:44 PM in response to imobl

All very helpful ideas thank you! An issue that has been raised for me today - backing up and archiving are different... wifi is great for synching backing up I guess but you need itunes / dropbx etc to really save things. Yes? A whole different discussion.... Actually a most interesting suggestion today was an ipad/ macbook that you could then tether to the phone. All of this will be under further investigation. Very helpful , I am grateful.

Mar 27, 2015 4:28 AM in response to dcbrown1911

An iPad could tether to her iPhone to get Internet access, but there would be no backup

capability. Items could be synced so there was 2 sources of anything, but not true backup.

A MacBook would provide capability for true backup as well as 2cd source.

The problem of reliable Internet access for larger updates remains to be resolved.

Small updates can be done over cellular service. You may wish to research if her

wireless provider does cap downloads - many do, but not all. You need to find out

if there is a cap on individual downloads (for instance, my plan prevents cellular

downloads over 200 mb, but monthly total is 10 gig).

What happens if you don't sync, backup or update IPhone 6.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.