Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator, AD, and moving folders.

I keep looking at Automator and it confuses me more every time. Is something like this possible?

I want Automator to parse through a folder full of student folders for the district I work at. It will take the name of the folder (which is the student's login name), ask Active Directory where that student's folder should be and if not on that server, it will mount the correct server and move the contents of the folder to the other server. Then move on to the next folder

This would be done in the summer after updating the Active Directory for the next school year. The idea being that it will copy the student's folder to the server at the next building they are at (They go from a kindergarten to a primary, to an intermediate, and end their sentence with us at a jr high). Currently we delete everyone's folder, but I thought it'd be nice to let them keep the same files their entire stay and with moving to full network home folders in the next couple years, it will copy their library and preferences as well.

Just wondering if this is in the scope of automator or should I look to something else?

Thanks

Every apple you could ever want... Except we have no cubes!, Mac OS X (10.4.8), I have a MacBook Pro. It smells like happy.

Posted on Oct 13, 2006 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2006 9:37 PM

Not in Automator.. It may be possible in AppleScript.

Automator doesn't work with loops or conditionals... It basically takes a bunch of files and processes them as a group. Everything that passes one action is sent to the next-it's not possible parse through them and selectively copy off to different places.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2006 9:37 PM in response to Jason Bennett

Not in Automator.. It may be possible in AppleScript.

Automator doesn't work with loops or conditionals... It basically takes a bunch of files and processes them as a group. Everything that passes one action is sent to the next-it's not possible parse through them and selectively copy off to different places.

Automator, AD, and moving folders.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.