Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsucessfully trying to set up wireless access point with Airport Express

HI everyone -

I have recently moved into a new flat with wifi already present. The property mgmt company states that all we need to do is set up a wireless access point to secure our internet browsing. Just plug in the router and follow the set up wizard. Unfortunately, these routers don't have the wizard capability with a mac, only windows. So......

I bought an Airport Express to use as my wireless access point. I have a macbook air running the yosemite OS.

How the heck do I set this thing up. I have read the booklet. I'm fine to the point I have to plug the Airport into the main wireless router. I don't have access to that router.

Is there any way to set this up without that access?

I am a novice at best with these things....

Thanks in advance....

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:53 AM

In order to set up the AirPort Express as a wireless access point, it is a requirement that an Ethernet cable connects permanently from one of the LAN <--> ports on the main router to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the AirPort Express.

It is not possible for a single AirPort Express to connect to an existing network using a wireless connection and service as a wireless access point......unless.....the AirPort Express is connecting to wireless network that is being provided by another Apple wireless router.

It is possible.....but also extremely unlikely.....that the main router there is an Apple product, but you might check on that possibility.

Another option.....somewhat complicated.....is that it might be possible to use two AirPort Express devices to connect to the network. The first AirPort Express would be configured to "join" the wireless network. Then, an Ethernet cable would connect from the first Express to a second AirPort Express which is configured to create a wireless network signal.

Most users will need the help of another person who "knows computers and networking" to set up something like this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 6:53 AM in response to rlcadima1

In order to set up the AirPort Express as a wireless access point, it is a requirement that an Ethernet cable connects permanently from one of the LAN <--> ports on the main router to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the AirPort Express.

It is not possible for a single AirPort Express to connect to an existing network using a wireless connection and service as a wireless access point......unless.....the AirPort Express is connecting to wireless network that is being provided by another Apple wireless router.

It is possible.....but also extremely unlikely.....that the main router there is an Apple product, but you might check on that possibility.

Another option.....somewhat complicated.....is that it might be possible to use two AirPort Express devices to connect to the network. The first AirPort Express would be configured to "join" the wireless network. Then, an Ethernet cable would connect from the first Express to a second AirPort Express which is configured to create a wireless network signal.

Most users will need the help of another person who "knows computers and networking" to set up something like this.

Unsucessfully trying to set up wireless access point with Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.