Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and MacBook forcing each other to joining / forget wireless network

Just recently, whenever I tell my iPhone to forget a particular wireless network, my MacBook Pro will disconnect/forget that network, too. Similarly, if I join a network on my MacBook Pro, my iPhone will automatically join that same network.

I'd prefer to have my laptop on WiFi and my phone on cell data, but it seems lately I have to turn off WiFi on my phone in order to make that happen.

Anyone else experiencing this? Know why this is happening? Know what settings to change so that one doesn't dictate what the other does in terms of wireless networks?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 8:43 AM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2015 7:46 AM in response to ehoefler

Hi ehoefler,

As I understand it your Wi-Fi networks that you have connected to or remove from either your iPhone or your MacBook Pro seem to be syncing across both devices. From what you describe it sounds like you have iCloud Keychain enabled since that is one of the features of that function:

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain

iCloud Keychain keeps your Safari website usernames and passwords, credit card information, and Wi-Fi network information up to date across all of your approved devices that are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

iPhone and MacBook forcing each other to joining / forget wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.