Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my only email account is with aol. does that mean i have to create a non-aol email address to access iTunes?

my only email account is with aol. does that mean i have to create a non-aol email address to access iTunes?

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 7:13 AM

4 replies

Mar 26, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Limnos

When I attempted to edit my Apple ID, the screen that come up is headed "Edit Apple ID Details", but there is no box titled "Apple ID" to edit. The 2 boxes that appear are headed "Email" and "Password", respectively. The point is, there is no box that allows me to change my Apple ID. I guess the presumption is that one's Apple ID and Email address must be the same. After 3/31, though they cannot be and AOL email address. Seems remarkably stupid that one cannot have an Apple ID that is different from his email address.

Mar 26, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Swainbrook

Your email is your AppleID. You can send feedback to Apple using the link at the bottom of this page but it has been that way for years and years and is unlikely to change. I could see having a separate ID as being one more thing people would forget and keeping it the same as something they use almost daily is a way to avoid having to deal with that.

Mar 29, 2015 4:24 AM in response to Limnos

Here is the reply from Apple Support. Note: "If your Apple ID is an actual AOL email address, no change is required."

"Tom, please be informed that starting March 31, 2015, AOL will no longer allow customers to use their AOL Username to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.

If you have an Apple ID that ends in @aol.com, your account won’t be affected.

If you have an Apple ID that is just an AOL screen name (no @aol.com suffix), then you’ll need to convert it to an Apple ID that is an actual email address.

To keep your access to your iTunes AOL account and its past purchases, please follow these steps to convert the account to a new Apple ID:

1. On a Mac or PC, open iTunes.

2. Choose Store > Sign Out.

3. Choose Store > Sign In.

4. Enter your AOL screen name and password.

5. Follow the onscreen prompts to convert this account to a new Apple ID.

The new Apple ID should be an email address that is not already associated to another Apple ID."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.