Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Both Netflix and Hulu quit frequently on AppleTV

Connection is fine - this happens often when I am home over lunch and no one else is using the Internet, and I have bandwidth to spare. Also happens at night and other times, so not isolated to one timeframe.

Will be watching a show and the screen will go black and the white light on the front of the AppleTV will flash a few times, then it returns to the main menu. This happened yesterday during lunch - five times in 40 minutes while watching Dexter on Netflix. The night before was watching Brooklyn 99 on Hulu, same thing.

I have done a full reset of the AppleTV and this did not fix the issue. My AppleTV is the not the 'latest version' but the version prior.

Thanks for your input

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 7:12 AM

14 replies

Mar 26, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Jason Fredregill

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  2. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  3. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  4. Reset the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings)
  5. Restore the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Restore)

Apr 14, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Mine does the same thing. Would seem it isn't just the apple tv, and while your suggestions might work, they would seem to only mask the issue as it might only fix it for a little bit. Not to mention how long it might take to test out each step if the problem isn't one that happens immediately after launch. Then there is the fact that Jason said he reset the apple tv and so your 1-4 are useless.

May 30, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Jason Fredregill

Actual verification of your network. You said your connection is fine, but the only information you seem to be basing this on is the fact that other devices are working, which would not constitute troubleshooting. If you have done so then You need to give every bit of Information, if you want someone to help you here.

Have you tried Ethernet? Is your router up to date? How old is it? What are the results of the network report? Does it persist in other locations?

May 30, 2015 7:32 PM in response to vazandrew

NETWORK VERIFIED BY SOFTWARE AND SUPPLIER.

ROUTER IS BRAND NEW, TOTALLY UPDATED AND CURRENT.

THE TV WITH THE APPLETV ON IT IS SIX FEET FROM THE ROUTER, ETC.

YOU ASSUME ETHERNET IS AN OPTION. IT ISN'T.

HULU & NETFLIX WORK FLAWLESSLY UPSTAIRS AND DOWN THE HALL IN THE MASTER BEDROOM. THEY FAIL ON THE APPLETV SIX FEET FROM THE ROUTER. IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR FOUR MONTHS - NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN, AND IT WAS FINE BEFORE.

YOU ALSO, LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE, ASSUME THOSE OF US WHO POST WITH ISSUES ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS WHO DON'T TROUBLESHOOT BEFORE COMING HERE - AS A LAST RESORT.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING MORE TO ADD, SIMPLY LET OTHERS POST THEIR OWN THOUGHTS. IF THE INFORMATION I HAVE NOW PROVIDED IN MULTIPLE POSTS IS NOT ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE SOME SOLUTION, THEN IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT WORKS.

May 30, 2015 8:31 PM in response to Jason Fredregill

Continuing to say something is verified but giving no results/values to back it up is pointless. I didn't asssume anything, ethernet would be used as a diagnostic tool to help rule out wifi issues and was given as one of the suggested troubleshooting measures.

Again, other devices working does not constitute a stable network. Network issues can also come up at any time. Others can only go by what information is posted, the information given has shown no such troubleshooting. It is working just fine on my system and for the majority.

It is evident you don't wish to seek support on the issue so I will not waste anymore time here.

May 31, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Jason Fredregill

This has been an issue for awhile now and it definitely isn't hardware related as being an ex Apple tech support employee I have pretty much done everything that would have resolved it. This dropping appears to be a wide spread issue and no amount of troubleshooting or resetting has resolved it. I am almost convinced that due to the bandwidth that Netflix eats up on a regular basis that this is their way of reducing it if someone is just letting their programming play without being actively watching when connected via AppleTV.

Kind of like their "Are you still watching" message that will pop up if you let the programming cycle while playing. It is definitely frustrating especially when in the middle of watching. I haven't tried Hulu but that also seems to be affected as well. If it was a network issue playback on a portable would be impacted and that never drops so I am thinking it is more then likely AppleTV related and not a network issue.

Both Netflix and Hulu quit frequently on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.