Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro optical shutter etc

Greetings everyone. I have a Mac pro 2010 5,1 (Westmere ) which is working fine. However, in shipping, I'm guessing, the optical drive shutters/doors got a litlle bent and so they might open, but they wouldn't close on their own. I had to help them with a bent paperclip nudging the shutter forward. so, can I replace this myself or is it part of the case? I haven't seen a spare/replacement one for sale yet...

2nd question. I have a dell U 2713 HM monitor. I used a dual link dvi cable to connect it to my Mac Pro and I got a variety of video options. I thought "well, if DVI is good, surely HDMI must also be as good, right?" . Not quite-where I used to have 10 different screen sizes to choose from, now I have five -3840x2400,

3200x2000,2560x1600, 1680x1050 and 1600x1000, all of which were marked (low resolution). I am using Switch Res X to get 2580x1444 but I don't see any other way to get different resolutions. My GPU is a sapphire Radeon 7950

any help on one or both would be appreciated

thanks

John B

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 12 cores

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 12:12 PM

"well, if DVI is good, surely HDMI must also be as good, right?"

That assumption is completely bankrupt. HDMI is good for TV sets and is limited to 30Hz on these Macs and is generally best at lower resolutions (like 1080p).

If you want better resolutions without adapters, use DisplayPort family connectors.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Johnb-one

"well, if DVI is good, surely HDMI must also be as good, right?"

That assumption is completely bankrupt. HDMI is good for TV sets and is limited to 30Hz on these Macs and is generally best at lower resolutions (like 1080p).

If you want better resolutions without adapters, use DisplayPort family connectors.

mac pro optical shutter etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.