Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello, Apple Community - (Users & Groups).

Hi,

I have a question about this screen shot witch is about my current account on my Mid 2014 iMac.
The name (Groups) - avdefs has started to appear from time to time on both my computer and my wifes computer, and even if I restart the computer the Groups in the (User & Groups) still appear for some reason. I have a Airport Extreme latest version and two iMacs one from 2010 and one from 2014.

Even if I delete the Groups - (avdefs) it will reaper for some reason and as for security I am using Norton Security and also a VPN software from StrongVPN.
My current version of my OS X 10.10.2. The WiFi internet support is of by default on both computers since I am using cable, and also every thing is up to date. And I am not signed in as a Admin but as a Standard account and that is for both computers. And yes the Groups (avdefs) reaper even If I do a hardreset of the computer and also reset the router and the router it self has no WiFi on in case you wonder.

Many thank's in advance for taking a closer look at this and perhaps even inform Apple about it if it happens to be a security question.

Sincerely // Jerry

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Jerryfromswe

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Same issue on iMac and MacBook Pro.

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:47 PM

It's from the Norton Security.

It's stand for A-nti V-irus DEF-initionS.

avdefs groups is :

basically, like when you hire a personal security guard and then they wonder around your house and you see them all the time in the back yard or in the kitchen.

10 replies

May 4, 2015 1:29 AM in response to Jerryfromswe

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton has also been reported as damaging iPhone backups.

Norton Removal Tool (Symantec Uninstaller):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489&locale =en_US

May 21, 2015 5:55 AM in response to NortonSupport

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply about my current issue. After I posted this information about the issue it has not happen again unless it has slipped my radar. But the current version of Symantec I am using is this: Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac. And yes I know it is not the latest version of your software but It works better than the current version you are offering at the moment.

Sincerely // Jerry Lingserius

May 21, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Evan . . .

Hi There, My first suggestion would be to check out the Group but

1) Opening any file

2) Go to "Get Info"

3) go to "Sharing & Permissions" if by some chance the group name is listed or shows up in, you may have an unwanted and uninvited user but make sure it is not the University before you push any panic buttons further more assess more of your files using a random file selection approach.

then i suggest go to the ASL ( Apple Systems Log) and do some more assessing of what is happening, the log may tell you something or it may not.

The power of the ASL is 2 fold 1) you gain information as to what is happening on your device 2) You can send the log to Apple which allows Apple the opportunity to assess various Technical aspects of the device, your personal info does not go with the log

If you have an unwanted user, back up your files and do a full reinstall via Disc Utility do not waste time on this decision if a reinstall is needed.

Good Luck

May 21, 2015 9:06 PM in response to peter from old bar

Hi,

Much appreciated response of you and also making a quick guide how to perhaps solve this issue.

Making a log about what is happening in the background always interesting but the problem,

is how to hand it over to the right people on Apple. I don't think the accept any given information

unless the they themselves believe there is a reason something is wrong.

But any way that is what I think and I can't say it allway is like that but a guess since I happen to be

a regular home user and that is that. But a question do I make a log file in case this happen again?

Many thank's in advance for your respons.

Sincerely // Jerry Lingserius

Hello, Apple Community - (Users & Groups).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.