Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2014 MPB 13" Retina, getting 6 hours battery life?

I have a late 2014 MPB Retina 13" that is supposed to get me 9 hours.

I have 93 charge cycles on the current battery, keep the screen turned down as much as possible, and yet from a full charge I don't get but six to seven hours when only using MicroSoft Office and watching videos I have rented. Battery life is critical to me as I fly 16 hours non-stop Atlanta to Johannesburg frequently and find myself packing an additional iPad Air for when my MacBook Pro goes down. Thank goodness newer planes are including outlets.

Anything I can be doing to help this situation out? Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 8:59 AM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2015 9:28 AM in response to GTCA

9 hours is a number for just having maybe a browser or mail app running and their not labor intensive apps, like video streaming which includes GPU running hot and extra fan usage which pulls much Battery power. Only suggestion is stop plugins to save power and steaming only with AC adapter plugged in.Also check "System Preferences" for Energy saver section and tweak settings to your advantage good luck on your voyages

Mar 26, 2015 9:46 AM in response to GTCA

Some third-party utilities can shorten battery life. Unneeded anti-virus, so-called "cleaning/optimization/tune-up", and internet security apps can cause that. Are you running any such stuff?

Runaway background process can also shorten battery life. Please see this Apple article:

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity - Apple Support

The article predates Mavericks and Yosemite OS and there is a slight change required to use it wil those OS versions. In the very important step 3 that makes all background processes visible--setting Activity Monitor to show "All Processes"--has been moved to AM's "View menu:

User uploaded file

Other than that, the article will be helpful. A tip not mentioned din the article; AM will not show all the potential "bad actors" if you do the test shortly after starting the computer. Use the computer normally for about a day and then run the test.

You are looking for any processes that use more that about 10 percent of the processor cycles (other than apps you know you have launched).

Late 2014 MPB 13" Retina, getting 6 hours battery life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.