Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer memory

not computer savy so bare with me. I have an imac 8.1 desktop, version 10.6.8, 1 GB memory, intel core 2 duo, 2.4 ghz speed. I don't have enough memory to install OS X Yosemite. I also can't import any more photos. How do I install more memory? And is it difficult? thanks

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), iOS 8.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:46 AM

It isn't difficult, and it should be outlined in the computer's user manual. Reliable memory vendors are OWC, DataMem, or Crucial.com.

6 replies

Mar 26, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Happycamper103

It's easy to, and I think both the companies below have 'how to' instructions, as does the manual that came with the Mac:

http://www.crucial.com/

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

Before upgrading it's worth checking that your Mac will definitely run Yosemite and also be aware that any older apps you rely on will no longer work in Yosemite as Rosetta, which enabled this, is no longer supported.

Mar 26, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Happycamper103

That model of iMac can utilize 6 GB of memory. I suggest upgrading the memory to 6 GB at either of the two suppliers recommended buy Kappy and Paul_31. I've found that Crucial.com is usually less expensive than OWC.

I also can't import any more photos.

That often is a sign of not enough free space on your hard drive. How much free space do you have? It's recommended one maintain a minimum of 10-15 GB of free space for good system and application performance. More if possible.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Happycamper103

Happycamper103 wrote:

I was told by someone to purchase a 1 TB hard drive. Should I ?

Is this an external disk, or is it a replacement drive for your Mac? If it's external, what's the disk for - backup purposes, external storage? If you intend to use the disk for Time Machine backups an external disk with twice the capacity, or more, of your built-in Macintosh HD would be a good option.

Mar 26, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Happycamper103

If it's an external HD I would get if from otherworldcomputing.com. One of these: OWC Mercury Elite Pro USB 3.0 / FireWire 800 / eSATA . As Paul pointed out if it's for backing up your hard drive with Time Machine get one that's 2 to 2.5 times the size of what you're backing up.

if you're thinking of replacing the boot drive on your iMac I'd personally get an external HD rather than replacing the HD in the Mac. That Mac is in its twilight years and when you get a new computer an external HD can be easily moved to it.

Computer memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.