Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Windows 8.1 Pro on Macbook Pro

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums and new to bootcamping as well but have been reading all kinds of posts about how to install Windows 8.1 on their Macs using bootcamp. I am however having trouble with this situation as I have no clue what to do next. I have a Macbook Pro 2011, running on Maverics, and I recently downloaded a digital copy of Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit, for the Mac platform, along with its CD key through my University's hub website as can be seen here.

User uploaded file

After finishing the downloading process, I received this file which is about 4GB large.

User uploaded file

When i double click on the file this happens. It opens something on DEVICES which gives me what is on the 2nd image.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

At this point, I'm at a loss on what to do next. Do i burn the file on a DVD hoping that Bootcamp will recognize it as a windows disc? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:45 AM

Please start at How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support. Your Windows 8.1 download is an Upgrade, not a Full Installation. You need to get a Full download.

10 replies

Mar 26, 2015 10:10 AM in response to iKarlyD

You need a 'Full' Installer.

From Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support

Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?

Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows. Depending on your Mac, you may be able to use an earlier version of Boot Camp to work with other versions of Windows. For details, see the Boot Camp system requirements for Microsoft Windows.

Can I perform an upgrade install from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

It's not possible to upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows. Back up your important files, then perform a new install of the 64-bit version of Windows.

Mar 26, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you again Loner and Csound1 for your replies!

Just a question. Is there a way to get around this without actually purchasing a copy of Windows 7 or 8? Like for instance, I could install the Windows 8.1 preview via bootcamp which is said to only last one month until it tells you to update to the latest version as stated in this tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEh89cY2o64. And afterwards when a month passes and I get the notification to upgrade to Windows 8.1 pro and after upgrading and telling me to provide a product key (as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFQ3Mw6JoM), would I be able to use the product key that was given to me through my University's hub? I apologize for all the questions, I'm really new at this. 😟

Mar 26, 2015 11:21 AM in response to iKarlyD

If there is a way you can burn a DVD with your downloaded img file, you might be able to create an iso file within Disk Utility to use for your Bootcamp install. I did this with a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD and installed it via Bootcamp without issue. I created a Windows 7 iso file using this Apple Support link and followed the rest of the instructions to include the Bootcamp drivers. All of this fit on an 8GB USB thumb drive and I installed Windows 7.

I read where Windows 8/8.1 Upgrade is different than Windows 7 as far as Activation is concerned. It may or may not help you with Activation.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2015 12:15 PM in response to keg55

Hello keg55, thank you for your advice!

I tried this by converting the .img file into a .cdr file via disk utility, then renamed it to .iso as stated in the instructions you linked. I then burned it into a DVD. However bootcamp cannot identify the DVD as a windows file. Maybe I did something wrong, but thanks anyway for the input. I will try to go ahead with what I said on my previous post on installing the windows 8.1 preview for 1 month, and when upgrading it into windows 8.1 pro, I will use the product key included with the purchase and pray that it works. 🙂

Mar 26, 2015 7:28 PM in response to keg55

Hey keg55!

I redid what you said to do. Converted the .img file to .cdr, then rename it to .iso. The step I did wrong the first time was I improperly burned the .iso file onto a CD. After looking through YouTube tutorials, I was able to finally burn the iso file the right way and bootcamp was able to recognize the installer disc. Despite the .iso file being an upgrade instead of an actual installation, it still managed to install Windows 8.1 Pro successfully, there are just different steps to be taken after partitioning since there isn't an already existing Windows OS on my mac. Thanks to Loner, Csound and keg for all the help! Much appreciated!

How to install Windows 8.1 Pro on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.