Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will iphone 6 from canada work in south korea?

I am currently in contract with Fido for iPhone 6. But I will pay off all remaining and pay for unlock the 'country lock'.

But, the concern is iPhone 6 have different frequencies. So, I am wondering if I bring iPhone 6 to South Korea, will it work by just putting SIM card with Korean service provider?

Thanks in advance,

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:52 AM

If you get the phone unlocked, it should accept the SIM. If the South Korean provider that you want to use is a GSM provider, it should work. However, it probably will not work with an LTE frequency there, and your warranty is not valid in Korea. iPhone settings are regional, and the North American phone is not set to support the same bands as the one used in Korea. And the warranty is not international, so if you have a problem with the device, you would have to bring it back to Canada for service. You might be better of selling the device to someone in Canada for as much as you can and use the proceeds of that sale to purchase a Korean device.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2015 9:52 AM in response to parao1009

If you get the phone unlocked, it should accept the SIM. If the South Korean provider that you want to use is a GSM provider, it should work. However, it probably will not work with an LTE frequency there, and your warranty is not valid in Korea. iPhone settings are regional, and the North American phone is not set to support the same bands as the one used in Korea. And the warranty is not international, so if you have a problem with the device, you would have to bring it back to Canada for service. You might be better of selling the device to someone in Canada for as much as you can and use the proceeds of that sale to purchase a Korean device.

Mar 28, 2015 6:33 AM in response to parao1009

I bought my iphone 6 from Telus and got it unlocked. Now I live in Korea and it works like a charm and I was also able to activate HD voice (VoLTE). The only difference between the iphones in North America and Korea/Asia is a few bands that are actually meant for China. As soon as you get your Korean SIM card everything works right away except HD voice. If you want to activate HD voice you need to tell the service provider to register the IMEI of the phone as an "iphone 6" in the system since foreign iphones are registered as unknown devices. In terms of warranty, as Chris said, the warranty is not valid in Korea. If there is a problem with your phone, you will have to send it back to a friend in Canada and have him take it to an Apple store.

If you have more questions about setting up your iphone in Korea, let me know.

will iphone 6 from canada work in south korea?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.